Wei Liang is a senior associate in the firm’s Corporate practice. He was admitted to the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, London as a Barrister-at-Law in July 2016 and was admitted to practice as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in October 2017.
Wei Liang’s portfolio primarily focuses on mergers & acquisitions, corporate advisory, foreign direct investments, and transactional matters. He also advises on various issues in respect of regulatory compliance in Malaysia.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Advisory and Transactions
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised the London Stock Exchange Group on the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of the financial data provider Refinitiv for a total enterprise value of USD27 billion from a consortium of investment funds affiliated with Blackstone and Thomson Reuters.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. on the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of Willis Tower Watson plc’s treaty reinsurance brokerage operations in a deal valued at more than USD3.25 billion. Willis Tower Watson plc’s treaty reinsurance brokerage operations include a licensed Labuan insurance broker under the purview of the Labuan Financial Services Authority.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised one of Australia’s largest private equity investment firms on the Malaysian law aspects of its potential acquisition of a global biscuits and snacks division, for an indicative consideration of approximately USD2.10billion.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised Tecan Group AG, a global provider of automated laboratory instruments and solutions which is listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange, on the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of US-based Paramit Corporation and its affiliates for a total purchase consideration of USD1.0 billion.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised Greenwood Capital Pte. Ltd., an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of GIC (Ventures) Pte Ltd (which is Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund) on its subscription of a 16% stake in Sunway Healthcare Sdn Bhd for a subscription consideration of RM750.0 million. The Sunway Healthcare group operates several medical centres in Malaysia and has a presence in Singapore as well.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised Tyson International Holding Company (“Tyson”) in its acquisition of a 49% stake in Dindings Supreme Sdn Bhd (which is in the vertical integrated poultry business comprising poultry farming, feed milling and poultry processing) from Malayan Flour Mills Berhad (“MFM”) (which is listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities) for a cash consideration of up to RM420.0 million and also advised Tyson on several strategic partnership agreements as part of Tyson’s proposed strategic partnership with MFM.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised a Chinese consortium led by an affiliate of the Beijing HBH Innovation Industry Fund on the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of MMI Holdings Ltd, a Singapore-based hard-drive component maker, and its group of companies, for a total consideration of approximately USD645million.
- Acted as counsel for Grand Venture Technology Limited, a precision manufacturing solutions provider which is listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, in respect of its acquisition of a Malaysian precision sheet metal manufacturer, Formach Asia Sdn Bhd, for approximately S$7.8 million.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised Nium, a Singapore-based fintech company with a global platform for modern money movement, on the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of Socash, a Singapore-based alternative payments network platform.
- Part of the Malaysian due diligence team which acted for OMV Aktiengesellschaft in respect of its acquisition of a 50% stake in Sapura Energy Berhad’s exploration and production business for a reported value of up to USD975 million.
- Part of the Malaysian due diligence and advisory team which acted for DIF Capital Partners in respect of the Malaysian law aspects of its acquisition of a 51% stake in ib vogt GmbH, a leading global developer in utility-scale PV solar.
- Part of the advisory and due diligence team which acted for the Shenzhen-listed Ninestar Corporation in relation to its wholly-owned subsidiary, Static Control Holdings Limited’s subscription of shares in Jadi Imaging Holdings Berhad, for a cash consideration of RM12,195,381. The Jadi Imaging group is a toner manufacturer which is listed on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised SCOR SE, a leading global reinsurer, on the Malaysian law aspects of its global restructuring exercise which involved the restructuring of two foreign Labuan reinsurers, regulatory licence applications and scheme of transfer of reinsurance portfolios.
- Part of the Malaysian core team which advised the Reckitt Benckiser group on the Malaysian law aspects of its restructuring exercise which involved the split of its health and hygiene home business units.
- Assisted in advising on the disposal of Kumpulan Jelei Sdn Bhd (an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of Sime Darby Plantation Berhad)’s RM500million nominal value of Redeemable Loan Stocks to Permodalan Nasional Berhad.
- Part of the core team which advised Sapura Resources Berhad in respect of the diversification of its and its subsidiaries’ principal activities to include the sale and service of products, engines and parts, and provision of related value-added services in the marine, oil and gas, and power generation market sectors in Malaysia, and on its joint venture with one of Rolls Royce's subsidiaries.
- Advising a China-based company in its establishment of a bird nest processing centre in Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2017)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2016)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Reading (2015)