Dhanyaa is a senior associate in the firm’s Employment and Maritime & Shipping practice.
Key Practice Areas
- Maritime & Shipping
- Commercial Litigation & Arbitration
- Employee Fraud Management & Investigations
- Employment Advisory & Compliance
- Acted as junior counsel for various claimants in arrest of vessels as security for claims in Malaysian courts and foreign arbitrations, and in applications for omnibus orders, sale of vessels and determination of priorities and payment out.
- Acted as junior counsel in applying for setting aside orders for ship arrests in connection with various maritime claims.
- Acted as junior counsel in making an ex-parte application under Section 33 of the Langkawi International Yacht Registry Act 2003 to prevent the Director General of Marine from dealing with a yacht.
- Assisted in advising a Dutch firm on the merits of a claim for breach of contract in respect of an agreement for construction and sale of offshore accommodation modules.
- Assisted in advising an oil and gas exploration company on the merits of a potential demurrage claim in excess of US$500,000.
- Advised charterers, shipowners and cargo interests in cargo, bills of lading and charterparty disputes.
- Acted as junior counsel in one of Malaysia’s largest ever fraud and asset recovery actions encompassing multiple parties and cross-border transfer of embezzled funds, including obtaining injunctions and other interim orders.
- Acted as junior counsel in applying for a freezing injunction in aid of arbitration relating to breaches of a crude oil supply agreement involving total claims in excess of USD100 million.
- Acted as junior counsel in domestic arbitration in respect of breach of a bareboat charter involving total claims in excess of RM100 million.
- Performing on-site investigation into suspected fraud/corruption allegations against a senior manager who misappropriated approximately RM1 million from a company, including cooperation with the relevant enforcement authorities.
- Performing several remote investigations and advising on employee misconduct, misbehaviour, unhealthy work practices, harassment and claims of a toxic work environment.
- Performing on-site investigation into allegations of corruption against 3 high-ranking members of senior management for receiving kickbacks from vendors, including advising client on managing out said employees with minimal exposure from a legal and reputational aspect.
- Representing local and foreign clients in employment disputes including claims of reinstatement to employment (arising from dismissals for misconduct, retrenchments).
- Advising on and drafting all employment documentation pertaining to misconduct and termination of employment including Show Cause Letters, Warning Letters, Dismissal from Employment Letters, Redundancy Letters, and Deeds of Release.
- Providing practical written advice and management strategies to companies on compliance with Malaysian labour law and practice.
- Drafting or reviewing applicable human resource documentation including employment contracts, handbooks, human resource policies, to ensure both compliance with local laws and recommended practices.
- Handled various high-value medical negligence claims including obtaining pre-action discovery orders for medical notes, procuring expert medical opinion and assisting counsel in trials.
- Successfully undertook settlement negotiations in medical negligence claims, participated in mediation sessions to amicably settle disputes.
- Assisted in defending a Hospital in a medical malpractice claim worth RM2 million instituted by a patient who had suffered severe brain damage at birth.
- Assisted in successfully striking out a medical malpractice claim in excess of RM1 million.
- Assisted in defending doctors at the Malaysian Medical Council, Disciplinary Board inquiries.
- Assisted in defending clients charged with offences such as murder, cheating, criminal intimidation, harassment, and white-collar crimes.
- Assisted in defending a client charged with anti-corruption offences in one of the 1MDB cases in Malaysia.
- Advised companies on anti-corruption and anti-money laundering laws and practice in Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2018)
- Barrister-at-Law, Lincoln's Inn (2017)
- LL.B, Cardiff University (2016)
- Committee Member, Malaysian Society for Labour and Social Security Laws
- Committee Member, International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law
- Committee Member, Bar Council’s Shipping & Admiralty Law Committee