To’ Puan Janet has vast experience in mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investment, takeovers, compliance, corporate governance and regulatory work. She has been responsible for the establishment of many Fortune 500 multinational corporations in Malaysia from the start-up to fully operational stage and was a joint partner in advising the Government of Brunei Darussalam for new National Standards Act.
Janet heads the Environmental practice which advises clients on all aspects of environmental compliance and dealings with/investigations by the Department of Environment of Malaysia. Janet is also one of the lead partners in the Competition Law practice.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for a major listed Islamic Insurance Company on the conversion plan and restructuring of its businesses as required by Islamic Financial Services Act 2013.
- Advised a major pension fund in connection with acquisition by a special purpose vehicle with a private equity partner of the businesses of major food franchisors in Malaysia. The deal valued the companies close to RM5.2billion.
- Acted for a major global insurance company in an acquisition of a Malaysian insurance company as Malaysian Counsel.
- Acted for a leading global insurance company in its acquisition of three multi-line insurance and financial service companies. The sizeable acquisition represented a milestone in the client’s emerging market strategy.
- Advising an American holding company, with international logistical operations, on its acquisition of a specialised food distribution business in Malaysia.
- Advised a European bank in setting up a joint venture allowing for a strategic alliance between the client and two Malaysian banks. This allowed the client to enter into the insurance field operating under a licence issued by Bank Negara Malaysia (Central Bank of Malaysia).
- Adviser for one of the largest insurance companies in the world in setting up an insurance joint venture company with a local Malaysian bank. This was one of the four joint ventures to have obtained the family takaful licence from Bank Negara Malaysia (Central Bank of Malaysia).
- Advised the Coca-Cola Company in its establishment of a manufacturing plant from start to finish. This involved negotiating the termination of a previous business partnership of 73 years, advice and drafting of documentation for the purchase of industrial land, construction, arrangements for local equity participation and drafting and negotiation of the investment documentation.
- Acted for one of the largest global money transfer companies in the world, in its acquisition of a Malaysian remittance services company with extensive agency networks in South Asia.
- Acted for the proponent of the first comprehensive scheduled waste treatment for Peninsular Malaysia which was granted a 15-year exclusivity.
- Drafted for one of the States of Malaysia the legislation for the establishment of an integrated river basis management body.
- University of Cambridge, Judge Business School Business Management Program (2014)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1986)
- B.Econs, LL.B, Monash University - Clayton campus (1983; 1985)
- Independent Non-Executive Director, MRCB
- Regional Vice Chair (Asia Pacific), Lex Mundi Managing Partners Committee
- Board member, Lex Mundi (2007 to 2011)
- Regional Vice Chair (Asia Pacific), Lex Mundi Women in The Law Committee (2011)
- Served on GOAL Task Force and Diversity Committees of Lex Mundi
- Author (with Jacqueline Welch), Annotation of the Environmental Quality Act 1974 – Annotated Statutes, Malayan Law Journal.
- Author, Malaysian Chapter – “Environmental Law and Enforcement in the Asia-Pacific Rim”, Sweet & Maxwell Asia.
- Author, Malaysian Chapter – Global Legal Group, the International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment Law (2010).
- Listed in Asia Business Law Journal 2019 as one of 'Malaysia Top 100 Lawyers - The A List'
- Named as a "Leading Individual" in Corporate and M&A by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific for the years 2010 to 2019
- "Janet Looi is highly experienced in handling M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructuring work. She is particularly adept at advising on cross-border deals." - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
- "Janet Looi has a wide-ranging offering, handling corporate governance and restructuring, as well as M&A and joint ventures. Sources commend her as "a very seasoned operator who always has good judgement." She also has expertise in environmental issues." - Chambers Global 2018
- Listed as “Leading Lawyer” in Corporate M&A, Restructuring and Insolvency by asialaw Profiles
- Named as a “Leading Lawyer” for M&A by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific in 2007 to 2017
- Recognised as an expert by Who's Who Legal for Corporate: Merger & Acquisition and for Corporate: Corporate Governance
- “Janet Looi is an extremely experienced and knowledgeable partner and clients appreciate her commerciality.” - Chambers Asia Pacific 2016