Sheba is a corporate partner, with experience in mergers and acquisitions and providing advice on foreign direct investment in a wide range of industries including the set-up of joint ventures and other investment structures in Malaysia.
She has notable experience in healthcare, education and hospitality sectors.
As part of her portfolio, Sheba regularly deals with legal and regulatory compliance issues involving regulatory authorities such as the Malaysian Industrial Development Authority, Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs, Bank Negara Malaysia and others.
Sheba has been ranked as “Rising Star” in IFLR 1000 (2022) and has been described by Asia Law (2022) as being “enthusiastic, knowledgeable and a joy to work with”.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisition
- Corporate Advisory and Transactions
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for GIC (Ventures) Pte Ltd, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, and advised on the share subscription agreement with Sunway Berhad, Sunway City Sdn Bhd and Sunway Healthcare Sdn Bhd to subscribe for a 16% stake in SHH for a subscription consideration of RM750.0 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for CVC Capital Partners, a Luxembourg based private equity firm, in respect of the transfer of the personal care business operations of Shiseido Company, Limited. It was shortlisted as deal of the year (large cap) by the Asian Private Equity and Venture Capital Awards.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for the sale of Bridgestone Corporation's chemical products solutions business to Endeavour United, a Japanese investment fund. Dealt with the Malaysian aspects of the transaction and also the Malaysian pre-sale global internal restructuring.
- Advised Health Digital Technologies Sdn Bhd, an online telehealth platform, in respect of investments by foreign venture capital funds.
- Represented SP Setia Bhd in its joint venture with Qualitas Group in respect of an ambulatory care centre in Setia Alam, Malaysia.
- Acted for Monash IVF Group in acquiring a majority interest in a private health care facility specialising in fertility and gynaecology.
- Represented FFM Berhad, Malaysia’s largest flour miller, in a joint venture with BRF Foods GmbH (a Brazillian based food company) in FFM Foods Processing Sdn. Bhd., a company specialising in the manufacture of chicken products.
- Represented New Forests Asset Management (a Singaporean investment fund specialising in forestry, land management and conservation) in the restructure of their joint venture, Acacia Forests Industries Sdn Bhd, a company cultivating acacia trees in Sabah.
- Represented Mitsui & Co Ltd, one of Japan’s largest conglomerate, in its purchase of various oil palm plantation companies throughout Malaysia.
- Represented Sibelco Nederland N.V. in its purchase of Unichamp Mineral Sdn Bhd, a company which mines, processes and manufactures lime and lime related products in the South East Asian region. The Sibelco group is one of the largest producers of industrial minerals worldwide.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for China General Nuclear (CGN) in its acquisition of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) entire energy assets in its independent power business for RM 9.8 billion. The deal was the Asian Legal Business Deal of 2015.
- Represented Essentra Plc, an FTSE 250 listed company, in respect of the acquisition of the entire assets and liabilities of Abric Berhad, a global leader in the manufacture of security seals.
- Represented SR Technics Switzerland AG in its joint venture with SIA Engineering Company Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary in the Singapore Airlines Group, in SR Technics Malaysia Sdn Bhd (“SRT Malaysia”). SRT Malaysia provides component repair, testing, and overhaul services (“MRO”) with a focus on the Airbus A320, A330, A340 and the Boeing 737NG aircraft in the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in respect of the sale of Luxaviation’s Malaysian subsidiary, Execujet Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. (“Execujet”). The sale of Execujet resulted in the sale of the largest business aviation MRO in Malaysia, which included a 64,000 square foot facility in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in respect of the indirect acquisition of SK Aerosafety’s Malaysian subsidiary, Destini Avia Technique Sdn. Bhd. (“Destini”). SK AeroSafety specializes in the inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of critical passenger safety equipment found on all commercial and private aircraft worldwide.
- Represented ICBC Aviation Leasing Company Limited in respect of the review of various aircraft lease and sub-lease agreements.
- Represented a renowned operator of private aircraft in Malaysia in reviewing their MRO service agreements
- Represented an airline carrier (now in liquidation) in reviewing their scrap aircraft waste agreements.
- Advised various multi-national clients in respect of the licensing and regulatory regimes applicable to them in Malaysia, including various companies in the travel sector, multi-national fashion retail companies and educational institutions.
- Drafting and reviewing various commercial agreements for multi-national corporations and Malaysian public listed companies, including:
- credit card collaborative agreements;
- loyalty card and partnership agreements;
- event sponsorship agreements;
- distributorship and logistics agreements,
- contract manufacturing agreements and technical services agreements;
- inter-company and cost-sharing agreements.
- Advised various foreign clients in respect of setting up a presence in Malaysia, including setting up private limited companies, companies limited by guarantee, foreign branches and representative offices.
- Represented the Daisho Group in its sale of Daisho Asia Development (M) Sdn Bhd (a Malaysian company owning part of the Hilton Kuala Lumpur land) in one of the largest hospitality deals in Malaysia in a prime location in Kuala Lumpur and valued at 13 billion yen.
- Represented a hotel owner in Malacca in respect of its hotel management agreement, technical services agreements and licensing agreements with a Singaporean hotel management group.
- Advised a multi-national company involved in travel technology and customer engagement services in respect of their operations in Malaysia, including their collaboration with airlines in respect of their travel reservations systems;
- Regularly assists clients in the drafting and reviewing of hotel management agreements and various ancillary agreements.
- Acted as lead counsel for Hope Education Group in its acquisition of the Inti Group of Universities and Colleges valued at USD140 million. Coordinated the transaction which included Hong Kong and Singapore jurisdictions.
- Assisted in the setting up of the Asia Business School, a business school and executive education centre set up by Bank Negara Malaysia and MIT Sloan School of Management.
- Advised various financiers in respect of the financing of various private universities in Malaysia, including Xiamen University (Malaysia Campus).
- Provided regulatory advice to various education providers, including private higher educational institutions, international schools, tuition centres and others.
- Masters in Corporate Law, University of Cambridge (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2010)
- LL.B, University Technology MARA (2009)
- Bachelor of Legal Studies, University Technology MARA (2008)
- Co-Author, Halsbury’s Malaysia Law of Agency (2022 Reissue)
- Author, The Annotated Malaysian Companies Act 2016, Sweet & Maxwell
- Regular Speaker, KL Bar Pupil’s Corporate Workshop
- Speaker, Negeri Sembilan Bar on Basics of Corporate Law, 2022
- Speaker, Selangor Bar on Drafting Commercial Contracts, 2021
- Speaker, Directors Duties and Obligations for Sime Darby Group, 2021
- Speaker, Companies Law in Malaysia for BMW Credit and Financing, 2020
- Speaker, International Bar Association Young Lawyers Training in Tokyo, 2019
- Speaker, Johore Bar Workshop on Drafting Commercial Contracts, 2014
- Speaker, Seminar on the New Companies Bill, organized by the Malaysian Institute of Accountants in 2013 and 2014