Sheba is a corporate partner, with experience in providing advice on foreign direct investment in a wide range of industries including the set-up of joint ventures and other investment structures in Malaysia.
She has notable experience in the education and hospitality sectors.
As part of her portfolio, Sheba regularly deals with legal and regulatory compliance issues involving regulatory authorities such as the Malaysian Industrial Development Authority, Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs, Bank Negara Malaysia and others.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisition
- Corporate Advisory and Transactions
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Represented FFM Berhad, Malaysia’s largest flour miller, in a joint venture with BRF Foods GmbH (a Brazillian based food company) in FFM Foods Processing Sdn. Bhd., a company specialising in the manufacture of chicken products.
- Represented New Forests Asset Management (a Singaporean investment fund specialising in forestry, land management and conservation) in the restructure of their joint venture, Acacia Forests Industries Sdn Bhd, a company cultivating acacia trees in Sabah.
- Represented Mitsui & Co Ltd, one of Japan’s largest conglomerate, in its purchase of various oil palm plantation companies throughout Malaysia.
- Represented Sibelco Nederland N.V. in its purchase of Unichamp Mineral Sdn Bhd, a company which mines, processes and manufactures lime and lime related products in the South East Asian region. The Sibelco group is one of the largest producers of industrial minerals worldwide.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for China General Nuclear (CGN) in its acquisition of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) entire energy assets in its independent power business for RM 9.8 billion. The deal was the Asian Legal Business Deal of 2015.
- Represented Essentra Plc, an FTSE 250 listed company, in respect of the acquisition of the entire assets and liabilities of Abric Berhad, a global leader in the manufacture of security seals.
- Advised various multi-national clients in respect of the licensing and regulatory regimes applicable to them in Malaysia, including various companies in the travel sector, multi-national fashion retail companies and educational institutions.
- Advised various foreign clients in respect of setting up a presence in Malaysia, including setting up private limited companies, companies limited by guarantee, foreign branches and representative offices.
- Drafting and reviewing various commercial agreements, including distributorship and logistics agreements, contract manufacturing agreements and technical services agreements.
- Represented the Daisho Group in its sale of Daisho Asia Development (M) Sdn Bhd (a Malaysian company owning part of the Hilton Kuala Lumpur land) in one of the largest hospitality deals in Malaysia in a prime location in Kuala Lumpur and valued at 13 billion yen.
- Regularly assists clients in the drafting and reviewing of hotel management agreements and various ancillary agreements.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in respect of the sale of Luxaviation’s Malaysian subsidiary, Execujet Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. (“Execujet”). The sale of Execujet resulted in the sale of the largest business aviation MRO in Malaysia, which included a 64,000 square foot facility in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel in respect of the indirect acquisition of SK Aerosafety’s Malaysian subsidiary, Destini Avia Technique Sdn. Bhd. (“Destini”). SK AeroSafety specializes in the inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of critical passenger safety equipment found on all commercial and private aircraft worldwide.
- Assisted in the setting up of the Asia Business School, a business school and executive education centre set up by Bank Negara Malaysia and MIT Sloan School of Management.
- Advised various financiers in respect of the financing of various private universities in Malaysia, including Xiamen University (Malaysia Campus).
- Provided regulatory advice to various education providers, including private higher educational institutions, international schools, tuition centres and others.
- Masters in Corporate Law, University of Cambridge (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2010)
- LL.B, University Technology MARA (2009)
- Bachelor of Legal Studies, University Technology MARA (2008)
- Author, The Annotated Malaysian Companies Act 2016, Sweet & Maxwell Author, “New act provides for greater regulation of shareholdings” on the Malaysian Financial Services Act 2013, International Law Office Newsletter, 2013