Richard specialises in non-contentious construction and engineering, energy and utilities and infrastructure matters.
His practice covers a wide range of advisory and drafting services for all stages of the project lifecycle. He represents a variety of clients, including developers, contractors and consultants, in power production, key infrastructure and commercial and residential developments.
Richard has considerable experience in the drafting and negotiation of project documentation, in particular standard form and bespoke construction contracts. In addition, he regularly advises on project structure, procurement, and project implementation.
Key Practice Areas
- Projects and Infrastructure
- Project Management
- Construction Compliance and Advisory
- Acting for the developer of a 20MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Sungai Petani, Kedah.
- Acted for a major global bank in relation to the construction of their new headquarters at Tun Razak Exchange, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted for a federal statutory body which had entered into a joint venture with a subsidiary of a public-listed Malaysian developer for purposes of the development of 76.14 acres of land in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur. This involved the drafting and negotiation of the project management agreement, as well as advising on the construction agreement.
- Acted for a large Malaysian power producer in relation to their development of a 49MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Perak, Malaysia. This involved the drafting and negotiation of the engineering, procurement and construction contracts as well as the operation and maintenance agreements.
- Acted for the developer of a 29MWac large scale solar photovoltaic power plant in Kulai, Johor. This included advising on the power purchase agreement, drafting and negotiating the engineering, procurement and construction contract.
- Acted for the developer of 29MW large scale solar power plant in Kedah, Malaysia.
- Advised on the following power production projects in Malaysia:
- Connaught Bridge Redevelopment Project, Selangor (384MW).
- Kimanis IPP, Sabah – Gas (285MW).
- Janamanjung IPP (Units 1,2&3), Perak – Coal (2,100MW).
- This includes advising on the power purchase agreements, the engineering, procurement and construction contracts, the fuel supply agreements, and the operations and maintenance agreements.
- Advised on the development of a cement plant with the production capacity of 5,000 metric tons per day in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.
- Acted for a major global bank in relation to the development of their new headquarters at Tun Razak Exchange, Kuala Lumpur, which involved advising on and drafting the project director services agreement and the quantity surveyor services agreement.
- Advised the developer of a financial education centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This involved drafting and negotiating the project management services agreement, architectural services agreement and the facility management services agreement.
- Advising a construction support services company in relation to the regularisation of their registration with the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advised a cladding installation company in relation to the foreign contractor registration requirements of the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1995)
- LL.B (Hons), Leeds Metropolitan University (1991)
Authored the following articles:
- Author, Malaysia chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide: Construction & Engineering Law, 2017.
- Author, There’s No Such Thing as a Free Ride,, Skrine’s Legal Insights 01/2017.