Richard is a partner in the firm’s Construction and Engineering practice. He leads a specialised projects team focused on non-contentious construction and engineering, energy and utilities and infrastructure matters.
His practice covers a wide range of advisory and drafting services for all stages of the project lifecycle. He has acted for a variety of clients, including developers, contractors and consultants, in power production, key infrastructure and commercial and residential developments.
Richard has considerable experience in the drafting and negotiation of project documentation, in particular standard form and bespoke contracts. In addition, he regularly advises on project structure, procurement, and project implementation.
Key Practice Areas
- Projects and Infrastructure
- Project Management
- Construction Compliance and Advisory
- Acting as Malaysian counsel for a downstream solar company in relation to the construction and operation of a rooftop solar installation for the supply of solar energy to large brewing company.
- Acted for the developer of a waste to energy facility at Perak. Assisted in the review and drafting of the engineering, procurement and construction contract.
- Acted for Lebuhraya Borneo Utara Sdn. Bhd., the project delivery partner, in relation to the construction of the Pan-Borneo Highway in Sarawak.
- Acted for Mudajaya Corporation Berhad in relation to their development of a 49MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Perak.
- Acted for the contractor in relation to the engineering, procurement and construction works for a 30MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Bukit Keteri, Perlis.
- Acted for HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad in relation to the construction of their new headquarters at Tun Razak Exchange, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for an American company in relation to the fit-out works of their co-working spaces in Malaysia.
- Acted for Leader Solar Energy II in relation to their development of a 20MW large-scale solar photovoltaic plant in Sungai Petani, Kedah.
- Acted for ZEC Solar Sdn Bhd in relation to their development of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic power plant in Kulai, Johor.
- Acted for Leader Solar Energy Sdn. Bhd. in relation to their development of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kedah, Malaysia.
- Advised on the following power production projects in Malaysia:
- Connaught Bridge Redevelopment Project (384MW), Selangor
- Kimanis IPP (Gas) (300MW), Sabah
- Miri Power Station (Renewable Energy) (150MW), Sarawak
- Janamanjung IPP Unit 4 (Coal) (1,000MW), Perak
- Janamanjung IPP Units 1,2&3 (Coal) (2,100MW), Perak
- Acted for the Employees Provident Fund in relation to their mixed development project (part of a joint venture with a subsidiary of a public-listed Malaysian developer) on 76.14 acres of land in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted for the owner in relation to the development, construction and operations and management of a financial education centre in Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted for an American biotechnology company in relation to the development (on a build, lease and transfer basis) of an industrial biotechnology facility in Johor.
- Advised on the development of a cement plant (production capacity of 5,000 metric tons per day) in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan.
- Advised the owner of a financial education centre in Kuala Lumpur in relation to their project consultant’s claims for additional fees.
- Advised the owner of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kulai, Johor, in relation to the contractor’s claims for additional costs and extension of time.
- Advised the owner of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kedah in relation to the imposition of delay damages and extension of time claims.
- Advised a construction support services company in relation to the regularisation of their registration with the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advised a cladding installation company in relation to the foreign contractor registration requirements of the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1995)
- LL.B (Hons), Leeds Metropolitan University (1991)
Authored the following articles:
- Co-author, “Somewhere over the FIDIC Rainbow” (Skrine’s Legal Insights 1/2019)
- Co-authored the Malaysia chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide: Construction & Engineering Law, 2017.
- Co-author, “There’s No Such Thing as a Free Ride” (Skrine’s Legal Insights 01/2017).
- “Knowledgeable in the power industry and adept in power purchase agreements.” – asialaw Profiles 2021
- “…name to note, particularly for advice on commercial elements of construction projects.” – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 (Real Estate and Construction)
- Listed as a “Distinguished Practitioner” in asialaw Leading Lawyers 2021, 2020