Richard is a partner in the firm’s Construction and Engineering practice. He leads a specialised projects team focused on non-contentious construction and engineering, energy and utilities and infrastructure matters.
His practice covers a wide range of advisory and drafting services for all stages of the project lifecycle. He has acted for a variety of clients, including developers, contractors and consultants, in power production, key infrastructure and commercial and residential developments.
Richard has considerable experience in the drafting and negotiation of project documentation, in particular standard form and bespoke contracts. In addition, he regularly advises on project structure, procurement, and project implementation.
Key Practice Areas
- Projects and Infrastructure
- Project Management
- Construction Compliance and Advisory
- Acted for the project delivery partner in relation to the construction of a major highway in Sarawak.
- Acted for a federal statutory body (part of a joint venture with a subsidiary of a public-listed Malaysian developer) in relation to their mixed development project on 76.14 acres of land in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted for a large Malaysian power producer in relation to their development of a 49MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Perak.
- Acted for the contractor in relation to the engineering, procurement and construction works for a 30MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Bukit Keteri, Perlis.
- Acted for the owner in relation to their development of a 20MW large-scale solar photovoltaic plant in Sungai Petani, Kedah.
- Acted for a major global bank in relation to the construction of their new headquarters at Tun Razak Exchange, Kuala Lumpur.
- Acted for the owner in relation to their development of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic power plant in Kulai, Johor.
- Acted for the developer in relation to their development of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kedah, Malaysia.
- Advised on the following power production projects in Malaysia:
- Connaught Bridge Redevelopment Project, Selangor (384MW),
- Kimanis IPP (Gas) (300MW), Sabah,
- Miri Power Station (Renewable Energy) (150MW), Sarawak,
- Jenamanjung IPP Unit 4 (Coal) (1,000MW), Perak,
- Janamanjung IPP Units 1,2&3(Coal) (2,100MW), Perak.
- Advised an American biotechnology company in relation to the development (on a build, lease and transfer basis) of an industrial biotechnology facility in Johor.
- Advised on the development of a cement plant (production capacity of 5,000 metric tons per day) in Bahau, Negeri Sembilan.
- Advised the owner of a financial education centre in Kuala Lumpur in relation to their project consultant’s claims for additional fees.
- Advised the owner of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kulai, Johor, in relation to the contractor’s claims for additional costs and extension of time.
- Advised the owner of a 29MW large scale solar photovoltaic plant in Kedah in relation to the imposition of delay damages and extension of time claims.
- Advising a construction support services company in relation to the regularisation of their registration with the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advised a cladding installation company in relation to the foreign contractor registration requirements of the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1995)
- LL.B (Hons), Leeds Metropolitan University (1991)
Authored the following articles:
- Author, “Somewhere over the FIDIC Rainbow” (Skrine’s Legal Insights 1/2019)
- Malaysia chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide: Construction & Engineering Law, 2017.
- Author, “There’s No Such Thing as a Free Ride” (Skrine’s Legal Insights 01/2017).
Listed as a “Distinguished Practitioner” – Asialaw Profiles 2020