Siew Li’s expertise is in employment law and she specialises in both contentious and non-contentious employment law issues. Siew Li regularly advises companies on recruitment, work permits requirements, drafting of contracts of employment and human resource policies and procedures, performance management, disciplinary action, restructuring and retrenchment exercises and voluntary separation schemes. She also advises corporations on employment issues in mergers and acquisitions, takeovers, and disposal of businesses.
Key Practice Areas
- Employment Disputes
- Employment Advisory and Compliance
- Acted as co-counsel in various unjust dismissal claims including those involving senior management employees at all levels of court.
- Drafting and reviewing contracts of employment for permanent and fixed term employees (local and expatriates), employee handbooks and policies, data protection notices for employees and staff loan agreements.
- Drafting and reviewing secondment agreements, supply of services agreements and contracts for services for independent contractors.
- Advising companies on all employment aspects of a takeover of business.
- Advising companies on employee performance management, employee investigations and disciplinary proceedings.
- Advising companies on retrenchment exercises and voluntary separation schemes.
- Advising and assisting a wide range of clients including multinational corporations that employ foreign employees in Malaysia or that second/assign such employees to Malaysia, in obtaining the relevant work permits for the employees, as well as dependant passes for such employees’ family members.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2010)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2009)
- LL.B (Hons), Cardiff University (2008)
- Member, MICCI Human Capital & Education Council
- Member, Malaysian Society for Labour and Social Security Law (MSLSSL)
Authored the following articles:
- Co-author, the Malaysian Chapter - "International Comparative Legal Guide to: Corporate Immigration 2018"
- Co-author, the Malaysian Chapter - "Getting the Deal Through – Labour & Employment 2018"
- Author, “A Social Safety Net", Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 3/2017
- Author, “Turning the Tables on Perpetrators of Sexual Harassment”, Skrine’s Legal Insights 2/2016
- Author, “The Pregnant Pause”, Skrine’s Legal Insights 3/2014
- Co-author, the Malaysian Chapter, - "The Employment Law Review, Law Business Research" (2nd Edition, 2011; 3rd edition, 2012; 4th edition, 2013)
- Author, “Whistling While They Work”, Skrine's Legal Insights 1/2013
- Author, "When Employees Leave: Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Clauses in Employment Contracts", AskLegal