Manshan graduated from the University of Leeds, United Kingdom and subsequently completed his master’s degree following a programme of advanced study in the field of international corporate law at the same university. Thereafter, he further obtained certain Capital Markets Services Representatives’ Licences and underwent training at the Securities Commission of Malaysia.
Manshan is a seasoned corporate and commercial litigator – handling various matters ranging from shareholders’ disputes to fraud and assets recovery cases where he has acted for a variety of foreign multinational companies. In respect of antitrust and competition matters, Manshan has been involved in most major litigation taking place in the jurisdiction, where in particular, he had acted in the maiden competition law cases in the Malaysian courts.
One of Manshan’s main focus areas is trade and customs. He has acted as counsel and co-counsel in all noteworthy petitions on the imposition of customs duties and tariffs on foreign imports arising from anti-dumping and safeguards investigations initiated by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry. Manshan also regularly advises companies on customs law compliance, and has authored various publications on customs law such as the Malaysian chapter of “Lexology : Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs (2022)” and Thomson Reuters Practical Law’s “Sale and Storage of Goods in Malaysia (2022)”.
Manshan also acts for clients in white-collar crimes related matters and aides clients in managing situations of crisis.
Manshan is a recommended practitioner in Legal 500 : Tax and Customs, and Who’s Who Legal: Trade and Customs.
Key Practice Areas
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Trade and Customs
- Trade Remedies
- Sanctions and Export Controls
- Antitrust and Competition
- Fraud and Asset Recovery
- White-Collar Crimes
- Acted for a major bank and its board of directors in relation to a dispute over a London hotel worth in excess of RM250 million.
- Acted for a major bank in staying an action by a foreign entity under the Arbitration Act 2005 for a dispute in excess of RM200 million linked to an overseas financing facility.
- Acted for a major developer in a strata dispute against the management corporation for illegally levying contributions for maintenance charges in a case which set the precedent on how maintenance charges may be imposed.
- Acted for a proprietor owning prime pieces of lands in various suits to successfully thwart the fraudulent transfer of lands and recover damages for the same.
- Acted in a landmark case on piercing the corporate veil where the subject matter of the dispute was worth in excess of RM200 million.
- Acted for a Singaporean exporter and its Malaysian wholly-owned subsidiary which were successful in obtaining a lower dumping margin on the exporter’s imports in an investigation by the Malaysian government on the imposition anti-dumping duties on imports of reinforced concrete bars from Turkey and Singapore.
- Acted for a group of Japanese steel mills which were successful in obtaining exemptions on their imports in an investigation by the Malaysian government on the imposition anti-dumping duties on imports of cold rolled steel coils from China, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
- Acted for a Malaysian petitioner in an anti-dumping investigation in relation to the imports of certain petroleum-based products into Malaysia.
- Acted for the Malaysian regulator in the first ever judicial review against the appellate tribunal decision under the Competition Act 2010 in relation to the highly publicized share-swap between the two biggest airlines in Malaysia.
- Acted for the Malaysian regulator in the first ever judicial review against the appellate tribunal decision under the Competition Act 2010 in relation to an abuse of dominant position stemming from the privatization of the foreign worker permit renewal process.
- Executive Certificate in Islamic Finance, INCEF (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2015)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2014)
- LL.M in International Corporate Law, University of Leeds (2013)
- Accredited Mediator, Civil Mediation Council (2012)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Leeds (2011)
- Author, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Business Crime 2020 with Skadden Arps – Malaysia, ICLG
- Author, Malaysia – Trade & Customs 2020, Lexology: Getting the Deal Through
- Author, International Trade Law Review Malaysia (2019)
- Author, Sale and Storage of Goods in Malaysia, Thomson Reuters (2018)
- Author, International Trade in Goods and Services in Malaysia (2018)
- Author, “Trade Wars: A New Hope?” Skrine Legal Insights (2017)
- Speaker, “Ethics in Product Marketing, Advertising and Labelling”, Seminar on Business Ethics and Integrity by the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (2019)
- Speaker, “Overlap of Economic principle in legal practice areas...An Overview of Trade Remedies and Competition”, Skrine Professional Development & Knowledge Management programme (2019)