Manshan is a commercial litigator with a diverse portfolio of practice focusing on corporate disputes, banking and finance, land, competition and fraud litigation.
He specializes in international trade disputes and trade remedies work. He has been involved in numerous trade petitions filed in both Malaysian and overseas, on the imposition of tariffs, anti-dumping and safeguards duties.
Another key focus area of his practice is competition law litigation where he has acted in the maiden competition law cases in the Malaysian courts.
Manshan also specializes in anti-corruption compliance work and asset recovery disputes.
Key Practice Areas
- Anti-Dumping and Trade Remedies
- Antitrust and Competition
- Civil Litigation
- Fraud and Asset Recovery
- Banking and Finance Litigation
- Strata Management Disputes
- Acted for a Singaporean exporter and its Malaysian wholly-owned subsidiary which were successful in obtaining a lower dumping margin on the exporter’s imports in an investigation by the Malaysian government on the imposition anti-dumping duties on imports of reinforced concrete bars from Turkey and Singapore.
- Acted for a group of Japanese steel mills which were successful in obtaining exemptions on their imports in an investigation by the Malaysian government on the imposition anti-dumping duties on imports of cold rolled steel coils from China, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
- Acted for a Malaysian petitioner in an anti-dumping investigation in relation to the imports of certain petroleum-based products into Malaysia.
- Acted for the Malaysian regulator in the first ever judicial review against the appellate tribunal decision under the Competition Act 2010 in relation to the highly publicized share-swap between the two biggest airlines in Malaysia.
- Acted for the Malaysian regulator in the first ever judicial review against the appellate tribunal decision under the Competition Act 2010 in relation to an abuse of dominant position stemming from the privatization of the foreign worker permit renewal process.
- Acted for a major bank and its board of directors in relation to a dispute over a London hotel worth in excess of RM250 million.
- Acted for a major bank in staying an action by a foreign entity under the Arbitration Act 2005 for a dispute in excess of RM200 million linked to an overseas financing facility.
- Acted for a major developer in a strata dispute against the management corporation for illegally levying contributions for maintenance charges in a case which set the precedent on how maintenance charges may be imposed.
- Acted for a proprietor owning prime pieces of lands in various suits to successfully thwart the fraudulent transfer of lands and recover damages for the same.
- Acted in a landmark case on piercing the corporate veil where the subject matter of the dispute was worth in excess of RM200 million.
- Executive Certificate in Islamic Finance, INCEF (2017)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2015)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2014)
- LL.M in International Corporate Law, University of Leeds (2013)
- Accredited Mediator, Civil Mediation Council (2012)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Leeds (2011)
- Author, The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Business Crime 2020 with Skadden Arps – Malaysia, ICLG
- Author, Malaysia – Trade & Customs 2020, Lexology: Getting the Deal Through
- Author, International Trade Law Review Malaysia (2019)
- Author, Sale and Storage of Goods in Malaysia, Thomson Reuters (2018)
- Author, International Trade in Goods and Services in Malaysia (2018)
- Author, “Trade Wars: A New Hope?” Skrine Legal Insights (2017)
- Speaker, “Ethics in Product Marketing, Advertising and Labelling”, Seminar on Business Ethics and Integrity by the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (2019)
- Speaker, “Overlap of Economic principle in legal practice areas...An Overview of Trade Remedies and Competition”, Skrine Professional Development & Knowledge Management programme (2019)