Joshua is a litigator who does work focusing on complex intellectual property, technology and commercial issues.
He acts for clients in a wide range of intellectual property disputes. He also advises on all aspects of intellectual property protection. As counsel, his strength lies in strategizing intellectual property litigation involving technical experts with diverse science and technology backgrounds. He has experience in enforcing and resisting injunctions, site-inspection order and Anton Piller order, as well as in coordinating trademark enforcement raids.
He also acts in various commercial and civil disputes. His work involves commercial contracts including shareholder agreement, sale and purchase agreement, tenancy agreement, loan and mortgage agreement. His experience includes acting as lead counsel in a land dispute against a state government.
Joshua also has experience acting as lead counsel in criminal proceedings for charges under the Food Act and the Trade Descriptions Act.
Key Practice Areas
- IP Litigation and Enforcement
- Commercial Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Acting for a security system manufacturer and a university as patentees of a vehicle inspection system patent in pursuing claims for patent infringement against two vehicle inspection system suppliers and the government of Malaysia. Successfully obtained reliefs for damages, injunction and a striking out order in the following proceedings:
- Billion Prima Sdn Bhd & Anor v Nuctech Co Ltd & Anor  10 MLJ 213
- Nuctech Co Ltd v Pan Asiatic Technologies Sdn Bhd & Ors (Powerscan Co Ltd, third party) and another suit  11 MLJ 474, Powerscan Company Limited v Nuctech Company Limited & Ors (Powerscan Company Limited, third party) and another case  MLJU 280
- iRadar Sdn Bhd v Nuctech Company Limited & Anor  MLJU 1248
- Acted for a generic drug manufacturer and successfully invalidated a drug patent in Winthrop Pharmaceuticals (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd v AstraZeneca UK Limited  2 MLRH 612,  MLJU 2014.
- Acted for a rubber glove trader and successfully invalidated two registered trademarks in Lim Teck Lee (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd v Longcane Industries Sdn Bhd  MLJU 620.
- Acted for a rubber grip manufacturer and successfully obtained a summary judgment for injunction and damages against an infringer for trademark infringement and passing off.
- Coordinated trademark enforcement raids with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs for a designer handbag brand owner and an international entertainment merchandise brand owner.
- Advised a Malaysian bus company in its logo licensing agreement with an international licensing company.
- Acted for a credit rating agency in a shareholders’ dispute and successfully resisted an injunction from restraining a scheme for transfer of shares pursuant to an exception in the shareholders’ agreement.
- Acted for an aboriginal family in a land dispute with a state government in Mesara bin Long Chik dan satu lagi lwn Pengarah Tanah dan Galian Pahang dan lain-lain  MLJU 954.
- Acted for a rubber glove manufacturer and successfully resisted a contractual claim for RM2,420,211.00 from an ex contractor.
- Acted for a property investment company in a tenancy dispute and successfully obtained an order for double rental and eviction against a supermarket tenant.
- Acted for a Malaysian bank in applications for ship arrest and ship sale involving the recovery of debts and mortgages worth multi-million USD.
- Acted for a Japanese auto parts maker and a European tax authority in enforcing Anton Piller order for financial fraud claims.
- Acted for a hair products trader and successfully obtained an order for acquittal from charges on trade mark related false trade description.
- Acted for a beverage producer and successfully obtained an order for acquittal from a charge on prohibited saccharin additive in a beverage product.
- Acted for a canned food manufacturer and successfully obtained an order for acquittal from a charge on prohibited incidental constituent in a seafood product.
- Patent Agent
- Trade Mark Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2012)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Malaya (2011)
- Member, Malaysian Bar Intellectual Property Committee
- Member, AIAC Young Practitioners Group
Authored the following books/chapters:
- Author, “In the Spirit of Attribution”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 3/2019
- Author, “Drilling Down the Details”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2018
- Author, “More Than Words?”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 4/2017
- Author, “A Snippet of Fairness”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2016
- Author, Malaysian Chapter, The Intellectual Property Review, 4th Edition
- Author, Malaysian Chapter, The Intellectual Property Review, 3rd Edition
- Author, “Spell it Right for Spelling Bee?”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2014
- Author, “The Tale of the Stick and Coil”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 3/2013
- Author, “The End of the Evergreens”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2013
- Author, “The Flip Side of the Coin”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 4/2012
Delivered the following presentations:
- Speaker, Pharmacists’ Insights, Pharmaceutical Industry, August 2018
- Speaker, Protecting Intangibles: An Introduction to Intellectual Property, Malaysian Bar National Young Lawyers’ Committee Workshop, November 2017