Janice Ooi is a commercial litigator. She has experience in company law and shareholders’ disputes. She also acted as lead counsel in various contested winding up proceedings.
She also has experience in commercial disputes involving breaches of contracts, and breaches of officer and trustee duties.
She has been involved in arbitral-related court proceedings such as applications to set aside and/or stay of court orders enforcing arbitral awards as well as applications for enforcement of foreign arbitral awards.
Key Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation
- Company Law and Shareholders’ Disputes
- International Arbitration
- Acted as counsel in a High Court matter defending a claim of RM1 million against a company for breach of contract.
- Assisted in a High Court matter representing a company in defending a claim for breach of a procurement contract worth RM3 million.
- Assisted in a High Court and Court of Appeal matter representing a purchaser in a claim for specific performance of a sale and purchase agreement of 26 plots of land worth RM90 million.
- Assisted in a High Court matter representing a purchaser in a claim for a refund of deposits in the sum of RM25 million against the vendors for breach of an investment agreement.
- Assisted and represented a purchaser company in challenging the wrongful termination of a sale and purchase agreement in respect of assets of a vendor company under receivership, by the receiver and manager. In this regard, the receiver and manager of the vendor company had terminated the sale and purchase and agreement and was in the midst of arranging for a fresh sale and purchase agreement with a new purchaser. Injunction order was successfully obtained to, among others, prohibit the receiver and manager of the vendor company from proceeding with a fresh sale and purchase agreement pending disposal of the matter.
- Assisted in acting for a foreign company in an application to stay/set aside a court order allowing the enforcement of an arbitral award granted in India.
- Assisted in a High Court matter representing the contributories and creditors of a RM1 billion company in setting aside a winding up order of the company. The winding up order was successfully set aside.
- Assisted in a High Court matter representing the contributories and creditors of a RM1 billion company in setting aside various injunction orders granted in assistance of a SIAC arbitration pursuant to section 11 of the Arbitration Act 2005. The injunction orders were successfully set aside.
- Assisted and acted as junior counsel and solicitor in defending a claim against directors and shareholders of a company for minority oppression and breach of directors’ duties.
- Assisted in an application by a purchaser company in challenging/setting aside a restraining order granted in favour of a vendor company. In this regard, the purchaser company had commenced legal proceedings against the vendor company for wrongful termination of a sale and purchase agreement in respect of the assets of the vendor company.
- Acted as junior counsel for a foreign client in an AIAC arbitration, with the governing law being Malaysian law. The arbitration involved the issue on breach of contract.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2014)
- Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple Inn) (2013)
- LL.B (Hons), Cardiff University, Wales, United Kingdom (2012)
- Associate, the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Contributor to the Malaysian Civil Procedure (White Book) published by Sweet & Maxwell Asia. (2015 edition