Grace is a senior associate in the Intellectual Property practice, with a wide-ranging practice primarily focused on IP litigation and enforcement. She also has experience in advising brand owners on strategic approaches to infringement claims for expeditious resolutions and management of social media impact.
Grace has appeared as counsel in the High Court and appellate courts for interlocutory and interim applications and assisted senior counsel in various matters including disputes relating to pharmaceutical and telecommunications technology patents, highly-publicised defamation actions, arbitration awards, and commercial and sponsorship contracts.
Key Practice Areas
- IP Litigation and Enforcement
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- IP Registration and Prosecution
- Regulatory Compliance
- Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money Laundering
- Appeared as junior counsel in various patent actions involving pharmaceutical and telecommunications technology, including Winthrop Pharmaceuticals (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd v AstraZeneca UK Limited  2 MLRH 612,  MLJU 2014.
- Advised clients on strategic approaches as defendants in patent actions for pharmaceutical and bioequivalent products.
- Advised international brand owners on strategic approaches against local businesses, which balanced the management of potential negative impact on social media and ‘trial by social media’.
- Advised and acted as junior counsel for claimants on the negotiation and settlement of a copyright infringement claim involving a government agency.
- Appeared as counsel in the Court of Appeal for an urgent stay of proceedings pursuant to section 44 of the Courts of Judicature Act 1964.
- Appeared as counsel in the Court of Appeal to resist applications to strike out a claim for conspiracy, in Tansco Teamworks (M) Sdn Bhd lwn Tasik Pelangi Sdn Bhd dan lain-lain  1 LNS 1649.
- Appeared as counsel for the applicant in various interlocutory applications in the High Court, including successfully obtaining an order to vary the terms of a consent judgment and an order for discovery against a non-party.
- Appeared as counsel for the respondent in various interlocutory applications in the High Court, including successfully resisting an application to strike out an action for an order to tax bill of costs.
- Acted as junior counsel for the defendant in various defamation actions, including a publication house, an ex-politician, and a manufacturer.
- Appeared as junior counsel in the Federal Court, successfully opposing various applications for leave to appeal to the Federal Court.
- Appeared as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal for various matters, including in Lembaga Penggalakan Pelancongan Malaysia v One Big Option Sdn Bhd  1 MLJ 465.
- Appeared as junior counsel in various actions relating to challenges to arbitral awards pursuant to sections 37 and 42 of the Arbitration Act 2005, including Menara Kuala Lumpur Sdn Bhd v Bungy Malaysia Sdn Bhd  8 MLJ 370,  1 LNS 636 and Pembinaan BLT Sdn Bhd v Debessa Development Sdn Bhd  6 AMR 198 HC,  1 LNS 788.
- Appeared as junior counsel to resist an application to recuse a judge: Pembinaan BLT Sdn Bhd v Debessa Development Sdn Bhd  9 MLJ 335,  1 LNS 1348.
- Appeared as junior counsel in various interlocutory applications in the High Court and Court of Appeal, such as Tansco Teamworks (M) Sdn Bhd lwn Tasik Pelangi Sdn Bhd dan lain-lain  MLJU 1446, and in proceedings relating to assessment of damages, such as MBf Holdings Berhad & Satu Lagi lwn. Houng Hai Kong & Yang Lain  1 LNS 293.
- General advisory work in respect of intellectual property laws and rights, including advising an international tobacco company on new plant variety protection legislation and advising an American biotechnology company on data exclusivity and safe harbour provisions in Malaysia.
- General advisory work in respect of rights and potential disputes, including advising on the proposed tri-partite agreement and proposed novation agreement, an American technology company on Malaysian dispute resolution, consumer protection, limitations of liability, and intellectual property laws, and various corporations on potential disputes with regulatory authorities under the purview of the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Communications and Multimedia Malaysia, and Ministry of Housing and Local Government.
- Advising and drafting contracts in relation to intellectual property related areas.
- Advising on procedures of trademark registration and assisting clients with the drafting of statutory declarations and written submissions to the Registrar of Trade Marks.
- Appearing before the Registrar of Trade Marks in trademark opposition proceedings.
- Advised organisations in highly-regulated industries, including organisations regulated by the Central Bank of Malaysia and Securities Commission, on data breach incident response, including notification to regulators, requirements for root cause analyses and remediation programs, notification to customers, action against employees, and other post-incident liability.
- Advised organisations in highly-regulated industries, including organisations regulated by the Central Bank of Malaysia and Securities Commission, on Malaysian compliance and governance regulations and policies.
- Trade Mark Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court in Malaya (2012)
- Barrister-at-Law (Inner Temple) (2011)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Nottingham (2010)
- Author, Privacy Piracy, Skrine’s Legal Insights, September 2017 Issue.
- Author, Pokémon Go-lympics, Skrine’s Legal Insights, September 2016 Issue.
- Author, Cholesterol: It’s All About the Numbers, Even the Patents, Skrine’s Legal Insights, March 2015 Issue.
- Author, Star Trolls: The Patent Menace, Skrine’s Legal Insights September 2014 Issue.
- Author, You Think It, I Ink It- But Who Owns It?, Skrine’s Legal Insights, March 2013 Issue.
- Author, Pinkie Promise?, Skrine’s Legal Insights, December 2013 Issue.