Desmond is a senior associate in the firm’s Tax and Revenue practice. Apart from his legal qualifications, he also holds a Bachelor’s degree in Taxation (Hons). He has more than 7 years of Malaysian taxation experience, including 4 years as a tax consultant at one of the Big 4 audit firms. His key practice areas include tax litigation, tax audit & investigation, tax advisory & planning and dispute resolution.
Key Practice Areas
- Tax Litigation
- Tax Audits and Investigations
- Tax Advisory & Planning
- Assisting in trials before the Special Commissioner of Income Tax.
- Assisting in hearings (tax appeals, judicial review and stay applications) before courts of all levels.
- Acting for taxpayers in Dispute Resolution Proceedings with the Inland Revenue Board.
- Representing taxpayers (a company and its shareholders) to challenge the notices of assessment on whether the gain arising from the disposal of lands is subject to income tax.
- Representing a branch of a multinational construction company in tax disputes concerning the income recognition of divisible income taxation.
- Advising and representing a power plant in a claim involving exceptional GST input tax and input tax credit.
- Advising and assisting a local gold manufacturer in the application for remission of GST.
- Representing an international construction company in a GST audit.
- Advised an airport operator on the potential tax exposures arising from a recovery suit for services rendered.
- Advised a trust fund on the validity of its tax exemption approval status which was granted under the Income Tax Ordinance 1947.
- Advised on the tax risks arising from a potential high value property transaction.
- Advised an international automotive company on the tax implications arising from the dividend distribution and advised on tax mitigation approaches.
- Advised and assisted a master developer for a Metropolis in the application for remission of GST.
- Advised one of the largest food manufacturers in Malaysia in handling Customs’ audit and Round Table Discussion.
- Assisted taxpayers (from various industries) in obtaining tax incentives (i.e. Pioneer Status, MSC and Principal Hub).
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2019)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2018)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of London (2017)
- Bachelor of Taxation (Hons), University Tun Abdul Razak (2014)
- Associate Member, Chartered Tax Institute of Malaysia (2020)