Beatrice is a senior associate in the Intellectual Property and TMT practice, with a focus on data protection and TMT. She is also a member of the firm’s China Desk.
Beatrice graduated from University of Malaya with a LLB (Hons) degree in 2018 and was admitted to practice as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in August 2019. She has been with Skrine since her pupillage and joined the firm’s Intellectual Property and TMT division after her admission to the Malaysian Bar.
Key Practice Areas
- Privacy and Data Protection
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Entertainment, Gaming and Media
Regularly assists in advising local and multinational companies in respect of a broad range of data protection issues, which include reviewing and drafting the necessary documentations such as privacy policies, data processor and data transfer agreements, as well as reviewing clients’ data protection practices. Some notable matters include:
- Regularly assists in advising on complex and novel data protection issues in light of cutting-edge technologies e.g., AI technologies (such as facial recognition technologies) for various clients’ applications and product offerings into Malaysia.
- Regularly assists in advising clients on the data protection standards in Malaysia in order to assess the risks involved in transferring personal data to our country – this required assessment follows from the CJEU’s ruling in “Schrems II” and the EU Standard Contractual Clauses as a means of safeguarding data exports from the EU to third countries. This also entails providing advice on the conditions under which law enforcement authorities request private companies to disclose personal data that they have access to.
- Prepared assessment reports for Malaysia, pursuant to China’s Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL) data export security measures which requires organisations to conduct assessments before transferring personal data from mainland China to other jurisdictions.
Regularly assists in advising multinational companies in respect of various technology and telecommunications regulatory matters concerning satellite communications, cloud services, Internet of Things (IoT) and over-the-top (OTT) services. Some notable examples include:
- Assisted in advising an American satellite communications company pertaining to its proposed Mobile Satellite Service (MSS), to be offered in various jurisdictions in Asia, including Malaysia. The work included advising the client on regulatory issues surrounding securing landing rights for its Big Low Earth Orbit MSS which spanned across topics such as telecommunications licensing, frequency and spectrum licensing, among others.
- Assisted in advising a prominent social media platform on their intended set up of their data centre in Malaysia for the provision of various cloud services into Malaysia which included advising on telecommunications licensing issues in respect of leasing dark fibre and operating the same to support a range of over 80 types of cloud-based services including video on demand (VOD) products, gateway, VPN and SSL certificate services.
- Advised and assisted clients with their regulatory and spectrum applications for the use of apparatus in Malaysia to transmit and receive data via the use of frequencies in the high-frequency (HF) band. This includes advising on regulatory approvals and restrictions surrounding the installation and operation of HF transmitter and receiver stations in Malaysia, the regulatory requirements regarding the use of frequencies in the HF bands, etc.
- Assisted in advising a client (one of the world's leading companies in the material handling equipment, warehousing and material flow engineering sectors) in respect of telecommunication regulatory requirements in relation to IoT (which includes telecommunication licensing requirements, spectrum, data/cybersecurity requirements in relation to the use of IoT, etc.
- Regularly assists in reviewing and drafting technology-related agreements, terms and conditions, etc for clients in the IT industry.
- Assisted clients in applying for licences and licence renewals from the telecommunications regulator, Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
- Regularly assists in advising on issues related to media and entertainment, such as content and advertising related issues on OTT streaming services.
- Regularly assists in advising clients on online gaming and gambling, as well as commercial promotions and contests.
- Regularly assists in conducting IT, IP and data protection due diligence in M&A transactions.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2019)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Malaya (2018)
- Co-author, “Malaysia: Data Protection Compliance during COVID-19 Movement Control Period” – Data Guidance.
- Assisted in the drafting and updating of Halsbury’s Laws of Malaysia – Media & Communications.