Alyshea is an intellectual property lawyer with a practice focused on IP litigation and enforcement.
She also advises and acts for clients in various civil and commercial disputes.
Key Practice Areas
- IP Litigation and Enforcement
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Acted as junior counsel in representing Dart Industries Inc. and their Malaysian affiliate, Tupperware Brands Malaysia Sdn Bhd, in claims ranging from breaches of copyright, infringement of registered industrial design, trade libel, defamation, malicious falsehood, breach of confidential information and trademark infringement.
- Acted as junior counsel in successfully obtaining favourable outcome for a Malaysian producer and distributor of rice in a claim for trademark infringement, copyright infringement, passing off and unlawful interference with trade.
- Acted as junior counsel for a foreign franchisor of a well-known bubble tea franchise in a highly contested franchise dispute, following termination of its local master franchisee.
- Acted as junior counsel a local industrial manufacturer and supplier in patent dispute involving thermal insulation liners.
- Assisted in execution of various Anton Piller orders.
- Represented various local and foreign clients from range of industries, including a rubber glove manufacturer, fashion and luxury goods, footwear and apparel in strategizing and coordinating various enforcement actions and raids.
- Acted as lead counsel for a local pawn shop seeking to recover earnest deposit in misrepresentation claim against the estate agent.
- Acted as junior counsel in representing an ex-officer of the Companies Commission of Malaysia in judicial review application by obtaining leave to the Federal Court, successfully reversing the decisions of the High Court and Court of Appeal and defending a motion for review. Here, the Federal Court made a distinction between termination of employment and revocation of appointment of an employee under the Companies Commission of Malaysia Act 2001.
- Acted as junior counsel for a purchaser company in challenging the wrongful termination of a sale and purchase agreement in respect of assets of a company under receivership valued at RM1.2 billion, by among others, obtaining an injunction order pending disposal of the matter.
- Acted as junior counsel for a purchaser company in filing a judicial review application against among others, the Chief Minister and the State Government in respect of its decision to not issue fresh timber licences.
- Acted as junior counsel for a foreign automobile manufacturer involving product liability claims by consumers.
- Acted as junior counsel for a multinational fast-moving consumer goods company in a claim for defamation.
- Acted as junior counsel for individual in multiple court actions involving shareholding disputes and ownership shares in a company, holding assets in various jurisdictions, as well as the interpretation of wills.
- Acted and advised listed corporation in the leisure and hospitality industry on all aspects of its business.
- Trademark Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2014)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2013)
- LL.B (Hons), Aberystwyth University (2010)
- Author, “Are you too cool to pool?”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, July 2020 and Mondaq, November 2020.
- Author, “Trademarks Act 2019: What is invoked to revoke?”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, December 2019.
- Author, “Infringing Website List: Turning Off the Taps”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, January 2018 and Mondaq, June 2020.
- Author, “A Snippet of Fairness”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, June 2016.
- Author, “Series Trademark”, Japan Patent Office, January 2015.
- Author, “Expiry of Copyright”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, April 2014.