Wong Chee Lin is a partner in the firm’s Restructuring and Insolvency practice group.
Chee Lin’s commercial practice is broad and covers corporate insolvency, company and commercial litigation including recovery work, voluntary arrangements and restructuring, contracts, corporate wrongdoing and misfeasance, banking and finance, partnership, guarantees and other securities, directors’ duties and liabilities, shareholders disputes and receivership and liquidation. Her commercial litigation experience also encompasses acting in arbitrations and in expert determination.
She has acted for office holders, companies, directors and debtors in all aspects of personal and corporate insolvency. Chee Lin is also frequently retained as solicitor and regularly advises the leading accounting firms on various aspects of the law relating to receivership, liquidation and corporate rescue matters as well as representing them as Counsel in cases where legal proceedings are filed. In particular, she has advised members of an accounting firm who were appointed to take control of the affairs of private funds by the Labuan Offshore Financial Services Authority under the provisions of the Labuan Offshore Financial Services Authority Act 1996 and the Labuan Offshore Securities Industry Act 1998.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500 2010/2011, has cited her as being “strategic”, “dedicated” and having an “in-depth knowledge of insolvency litigation work” whereas in Asia Pacific Legal 500 2012, she has been described as an ‘excellent lawyers with vast experience’ A client has described her in the IFLR 1000 2011, as being an “all-time favourite in insolvency and liquidation with in-depth knowledge, through opinions, accessibility and customer friendliness”. She also won the ILO Client Choice Award for Insolvency and Restructuring practitioner of the Year (Malaysia) 2011 & 2012.
In 2018, Chee Lin was called to join the judiciary and she bade a temporary farewell to Skrine to take her seat on the bench at the Kuala Lumpur High Court. During her tenure as a member of the judiciary, Chee Lin presided over a variety of commercial and civil cases, and lived up to her reputation as one of the leading insolvency experts in the profession by delivering a key decision on the judicial management mechanism which is oft-cited by her contemporaries and practitioners alike.
After 3 years with the judiciary, Chee Lin has reunited with Skrine to recommence her career in practice and to continue her dedicated effort towards cultivating the restructuring and insolvency practice in Skrine.
Key Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- International Arbitration
- Banking and Finance Litigation
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Professional Liability
- Insurance and Reinsurance Disputes
- Land Acquisition and Land Law
- Acted as Counsel for a public listed Malaysian oil and gas support services provider in a multi-million shareholders dispute with a Central American specialist oil and gas service company.
- Acted as junior counsel for a major domestic distributor of luxury vehicles in a corporate dispute between shareholders and directors.
- Successfully defended and acted as Counsel for transaction solicitors sued for negligence in a multi-million Islamic bond matter filed by Maybank Trustee Berhad.
- Advised and acted in all 3 tiers of court proceedings for a commercial bank which involved a complex and novel point of law in Malaysia concerning the priority of charges over assets.
- Advised as Malaysian Counsel with Herbert Smith as instructing UK Counsel on the possible challenge to an expert determination involving a subsidiary of a joint venture of 2 major oil and gas multinational in a dispute over a sale and purchase of carbon monoxide.
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1985)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (1984)
- BA (PPE), MA (Hons), University of Oxford (1982)