Hong Koon is a partner in the IP Registration and Prosecution practice. She has extensive experience advising clients on the creation, acquisition, prosecution, exploitation and management of national and multi-jurisdictional Intellectual Property especially trade mark; and the development and implementation of Intellectual Property strategies and policies, and sourcing of funds.
She also serves clients across industries with focus on pharmaceutical, medical device, cosmetics and automobile industries, and advises her clients with regards to regulatory compliance including compliance with labelling and packaging, shipment, marketing and advertising laws, regulations and guidelines.
She co-heads the Firm’s China Desk, which is aimed at contributing to the bilateral Malaysia-China legal cooperation and participation in the legal sphere of the One-Belt-One-Road policy and Made in China 2025 strategic plan. She engages investors, law firms, companies, government and semi-government agencies, trade organizations, intellectual property agencies, bankers, professionals and service providers involved in the promotion of Malaysia-China trade.
Key Practice Areas
- IP Registration and Prosecution 知识产权注册和起诉
- Advertising and Product Liability 广告和产品责任
- Devising strategies for local inventors and Malaysia-based foreign inventors on protection and exploitation of their IP worldwide, and advising them on sourcing of funds; working with IP foreign experts in implementation thereof.
- Advising, managing and coordinating multi-jurisdictional protection of IP portfolio for companies.
- A wide range review of IP policies including IP polices of multinational companies having local business interests in the medical device, automobile and manufacturing industries and local branch of foreign universities.
- Advising and assisting a leader in the gaming industry to secure protection of their copyright worldwide and to assist in and coordinate the transfer of ownership thereof.
- Acting for the government on drafting of agreements for the protection of IP relating to a national broadband campaign.
- Advising on the laws, regulations and codes governing advertising and marketing for various industries including pharmaceutical, medical device, cosmetics and automotive industries.
- Advising foreign genomic solutions providers on compliance with local laws in connection with carrying our laboratory testing, data analysis and avatar studies.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1998)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (1997)
- LL.M, University of Malaya (2004)
- LL.B (Hons), University of East London (1996)
- National Reporter, Malaysian Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI)
- Member, HuanYu China- ASEAN Legal Cooperation Center
- Member, China- ASEAN Legal Training Base Alumni
- Researcher, Southwest University of Political Science and Law, China
- Member, Canadian Business Council
Authored the following articles:
- Author, “Inside the Minds: IP Client Strategies in the Asia- Pacific, 2011 ed.”, Thomson Reuters/ Aspatore, United States of America.
- Author, “Malaysian Intellectual Property – Dawning of a New Age”, Digital Guide 2010 on executiveview.com.
- Author, “World Intellectual Property Rights and Remedies- Malaysia”, Oceana, New York.
- Author, “IP Laws in Malaysia”, http://www.jetro.gov.jp/ world/asia/asean/ip.
- Presenter, “Taking Unfair Advantage of Trademarks: Parasitism and Free Riding”, AIPPI ASEAN Regional Meeting 2016.
- Presenter, “IP in E-Commerce”, to ACCCIM (The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry, Malaysia) members.
- Co-presenter, “Wheels of Change- A Legal Perspective of the Automobile Industry in Malaysia”, a webinar organised by LexMundi.
- Co-presenter, “Disregarding Intellectual Property at Your Own Peril”, “ICC- Brand and Innovation Seminar ICC Malaysia”, organised by the International Chambers of Commerce, Malaysia.
- Presenter, “The Protection of Major Sports Events and Associated Commercial Activities Through Trade Marks and Other IPR”, “AIPPI Seminar 2010”, organised by the Malaysian Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI)
- Presenter, “An Overview of IP Laws in Malaysia”, to Thai trade delegations.
- Presenter, “How to Protect Your Brands”, to Thai Trade Council and Thai Trade Delegations.
Trade Talks in Chinese Language
- Presenter (in Mandarin), “The Worth of the Ang-Hair Durians”, “Seminar on Empowering SMEs through IP”, organised by the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia.
- Presenter, “Employee’s IP”, to the Malaysian Employers Federation, Northern Region.
- Presenter, “Copyright- Dos and Donts”, to college students at a holiday camp.
- Conducted a series of workshops on “Trade Marks- creation, selection, protection” to clients.
- Presenter, “Co-branding”, to in-house counsels and legal practitioners.