Syafinaz’s area of focus is Banking and Finance Litigation. As a natural extension, she is part of the Restructuring and Insolvency practice.
She also handles a wide array of civil litigation disputes involving the law of defamation, professsional negligence, land law and tenancy.
Key Practice Areas
- Banking and Finance Litigation
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Civil Litigation
- Assisted in an action by a local bank against a manufacturer of natural latex threads and its subsidiary involving loan facilities exceeding RM60 million.
- Acted as a co-counsel for various banks in foreclosure proceedings.
- Appeared as co-counsel for contested civil proceedings against borrowers and guarantors involving loan facilities.
- Conducted hearings in court actions relating to recovery of loans by banking institutions.
- Acted as a co-counsel for several banks to set aside Restraining Order obtained by companies.
- Appeared as co-counsel for various banks in bankruptcy and winding-up proceedings against borrowers and guarantors.
- Appeared as co-counsel for a palm oil trading company in a civil trial involving the interpretation of standard PORAM (Palm Oil Refiners Association of Malaysia) contracts.
- Acted as a co-counsel for several landlords in relation to tenancy disputes.
- Conducted trials at the Magistrates Court for civil actions relating to personal injury cases.
- Conducted trials at the Magistrates Court for criminal offences under Road Transport Act relating to causing death by reckless and dangerous driving.
- Acted as co-counsel for one of the largest casino in Singapore in matters relating to the registration and enforcement of the judgments of the High Court of Singapore in Malaysia.
- Advising one of the largest casino in Philippines in matters relating to the debts incurred by the patrons of the casino.
- Assisted in an action against the police force for negligence and abuse of power concerning a shot that was fired by a policeman from the back of the victim which resulted in the victim becoming paralysed from waist down.
- Appeared as co-counsel for a beneficiary and obtained an injunction order to restrain eviction proceedings by the executrix of an estate
- Appeared as co-counsel to defend negligence suits filed against legal practitioners in Malaysia.
- Assisted in an action for an individual in an appeal by the opposing party which is a notable eye hospital, an ophthalmologist and an anaesthetist in a medical negligence appeal.
- Appeared as co-counsel in a defamation action brought by the former Menteri Besar of Kelantan arising out a report involving the 'Bersih 3.0' rally against a local newspaper.
- Assisted in a defamation action filed against a local newspaper involving an article reporting a helicopter crash incident.
- Appeared as co-counsel in a defamation action against a local newspaper arising out of the publication of a wrong photograph in an article in relation to a leader of the People's Progressive Party.
- Appeared as co-counsel in a defamation action involving the reporting of a land fraud.
- LL.M (Distinction), University College London (2014)
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2011)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2010)
- LL.B (Hons), University of London (External Programme) (2009)
- Member, Kuala Lumpur Bar Professional Business Development Committee 2019/2020
- Author, “Singapore Court Rules in Favour of House – Last Roll of the Dice”, International Bar Association Litigation Newsletter, May 2018.
- Author, Is The Time Frame In Rule 30(2) Immutable?, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2016 (Also published in “Legal Craft & Such”, Issue 4/ Feb- March 2017.
- Author, Court Rules in Favour of House, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 1/2017.
- Author, The Risk of Being Indolent, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 4/2014.
- Author, Default in Palm Oil Trades, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 1/2013.