Shaleni acts in commercial and civil disputes. She also acts in internal investigations, regulatory compliance investigations and in actions for fraud and asset recovery.
Key Practice Areas
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money Laundering
- Fraud and Asset Recovery
- Assisted as co-counsel in a complex fraud claim amounting to RM1 billion, representing a sovereign state.
- Assisted as co-counsel to a Queen’s Counsel in an international fast track arbitration involving a national commodity.
- Assisted as co-counsel in a multiclaim arbitration amounting up to RM100 million involving a government concession.
- Acted as co-counsel in successfully obtaining a judgment for an Islamic facility amounting to RM42 million.
- Assisted one of the largest banks in the world in its Anti Money Laundering, Compliance, Sanctions, Anti-Corruption and Bribery audits in 2014 and 2016.
- Assisted one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world in its internal investigation for Anti-Corruption compliance.
- Assisted UK, US, Dutch, Singapore, Australian firms and other multi-national companies on anti-corruption laws and practices in Malaysia.
- Assisted a US firm on Anti-Corruption Compliance and Malaysian laws for a US Client undertaking an offshore seismic acquisition project in Sabah.
- Assisted in conducting a joint internal investigation with a Fortune 500 company into its subsidiaries’ conduct in multimillion dollar maritime materials and services transactions.
- Assisted in obtaining a worldwide freezing order and a search order against trust companies at an offshore tax haven.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2010)
- Certificate of Legal Practice (2009)
- LL.B (Hons), University of London (2008)
- Author, Malaysian Chapter on: Guide to Anti- Corruption Regulation in Asia, Herbert Smith Guides/Herbert Smith Freehills (2010, 2011, 2012).
- Author, Malaysian Chapter on: Gifts and entertainment – a guide to anti-bribery regulation in Asia, Herbert Smith Guides/Herbert Smith Freehills (2011).
- Assisted Herbert Smith for their Overseas Corruption Project.