Hooi Lin is a partner in the Real Estate, and Banking and Finance practices.
She acts for clients in various industries and across multiple jurisdictions in a broad range of real estate related matters, including the acquisition or disposal of commercial buildings, industrial and development lands, and residential properties.
She also represents clients in large banking and commercial transactions, assisting them in the structuring of transactions and drafting of the relevant loan or other transactional documentation.
Another key focus area of her practice is advising high net worth individuals in their wealth management.
Hooi Lin is also part of the Aviation practice group providing a full range of aviation-related legal advisory and services, including aircraft financing and insurance, and aircraft ownership, licensing and permits, operations and management. She assists in setting up ownership, leasing and financing arrangements, buying and selling new and used passenger, cargo or corporate aircrafts.
Key Practice Areas
- Real Estate
- Banking and Finance
- Wealth Management, Trusts and Charities
- Advising and acting for local and foreign individuals and corporations in the purchase of development and industrial lands, and residential and commercial properties.
- Advising housing developers on laws on property development and strata management.
- Advising and acting for the receivers and managers for companies in receivership for sale of lands and assets, including reviewing and drafting of tender documents for the intended sales.
- Advising on the formation of joint venture for land purchase, land lease, rights of use and other matters relating to the development of a marina in Malaysia.
- Advising on leases and tenancies for private individuals and corporations, including agreements to lease and build for corporations in various industries.
- Advising private individuals and liaising with foreign lawyers on real estate investments overseas.
- Advising foreign investors on matters relating to purchase/lease of lands, setting up and conducting of businesses in Malaysia, including legal and regulatory compliance issues.
- Drafting and advising on banking facilities for the purpose of project financing including the drafting of security documents such as debentures, assignment of project proceeds account, assignment of project proceeds, assignment of cash control account, assignment of insurance proceeds, assignment of sub-contracts, individual and corporate guarantees, memorandum of deposit, deed of subordination and letter of undertaking.
- Advising and acting for leading banks in respect of facilities granted to housing developers to finance the construction of housing and commercial projects.
- Advising and acting for leading banks in respect of facilities granted to companies in specific industries such as aviation and shipping.
- Advising and acting for leading banks in respect of facilities granted to private individuals and corporations to part-finance their purchase of land and residential and commercial properties.
- Perusing and advising from the viewpoint of the laws of Malaysia facilities granted by off-shore syndicate of lenders concerning facilities granted to a Malaysian company for the purpose of project financing or as the case may be, concerning facilities granted to a related corporation of a Malaysian company which facilities are to be secured over assets of a Malaysian company, and drafting the security documents relating to assets in Malaysia, drafting and submitting the relevant application to the Controller of Foreign Exchange and other relevant regulatory authorities in Malaysia, issuing counsels opinion in respect of the status of the Malaysian borrower or security provider, the enforceability of the obligations of the Malaysian borrower/security provider and enforceability of the security documents relating to assets in Malaysia.
- Advised a foreign client on the setting up of an aerospace related manufacture and services company in Malaysia, in particular, in relation to an appropriate corporate structure and the applicable licensing requirements.
- Advised and provided an opinion to a client in relation to a sale and purchase of aircrafts transaction from a Malaysian law perspective, including the capacity of parties to enter into the sale agreement, the enforceability of said agreement and the discharge of existing charges.
- Advising and acting for a leading bank on various trust-related issues.
- Advising private individuals on trust structures.
- Advising corporations on legal structures of charities in Malaysia.
- Advising and assisting private individuals to draw up their last wills and testament.
- Advising and acting for executors and legal administrators in probate and administration applications.
- Advising on administration of estates, deed of family arrangements, settlement agreements, trust deeds and other related documents.
- Advising and acting for private individuals and corporations on share sales, sale and purchase of businesses, sale/transfer of assets, sale and delivery of goods contracts and other commercial agreements, drafting and negotiating related agreements and drafting and submitting applications to relevant regulatory authorities.
- Advising companies incorporated in Malaysia, clubs and societies registered in Malaysia on their Constitutions and various legal issues.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaysia (1995)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (1993)
- LL.B (Hons), QMW (1992)
- Member, The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn Alumni Association, Malaysia
- Member, Disciplinary Committee Panel, Bar Council
- Member, Conveyancing Practice Committee, Bar Council
Presented the following talks:
- Co-Presenter, Seminar on “Overview of National Land Code and Banking Securities” to Bank Negara Malaysia, July 2018.
- Co-Presenter, Seminar on “Cross-Border Probate and Succession Planning” with Rothschild Trust Group and Withers Worldwide International Probate Team to private individuals, June 2016.
- Co-Presenter, “Trust Properties, Inherited Properties, Leases” being part of the Bar Council Conveyancing Practice Series of Seminar, 2014.
- Recognised as a “recommended individual” by asialaw Profiles 2016.