Natalie is a partner in the Intellectual Property, Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT) and Privacy and Data Protection practice, and regularly advises domestic and international clients in various sectors on complex legal and regulatory matters relating to communications, IT, e-commerce, data protection, intellectual property and gaming.
Specifically in the TMT sector, she advises clients on their infrastructure and services such as satellite communications, fibre and terrestrial wireless connectivity, data centre and cloud services, traditional broadcasting and OTT services, connected cars and telematics, encryption and import/export controls.
Natalie also advises various multinational and local companies on data protection issues including compliance with data protection laws as well as drafting the necessary documents such as consent forms, privacy policies, data processor and data transfer agreements and providing strategic advice on highly sensitive matters such as data breach incidents.
Her expertise includes advising on, drafting and negotiating intellectual property licence and assignment agreements as well as technology agreements such as outsourcing, licensing, development and systems integration.
Key Practice Areas
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Privacy and Data Protection
- Entertainment, Gaming and Media
- IP Registration and Prosecution
- Advised on various issues relating to the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, its ancillary regulations and guidelines, including the regulation of communications and multimedia services, licensing requirements, content regulation, interception of communications, technical codes, consumer protection, spectrum assignment, universal service provision and digital signature.
- Assisted clients in their application for a licence / registration from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (“MCMC”).
- Appointed as a member of a sub-working group for Banking & Finance as part of the national 5G Task Force established by MCMC.
- Advised one of Malaysia’s first subscription-based music, podcast and Video-on-Demand (VOD) operators in respect of its entry into the Malaysian market, including on issues pertaining to telecommunications licensing and content regulation.
- Advised a party involved in the national Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) project for the implementation of DTT services in Malaysia, a nationwide transition from analogue to digital TV transmission.
- Advised one of the world’s largest internet-based companies specialising in technology-related communications market on the regulation of its various mobile services including its messaging and VoIP services, mobile payment and music streaming services.
- Advised a major social media and technology provider on various aspects of its activities in Malaysia including fiber deployment and broadband products, technical rules applicable to specific spectrum bands, content requirements and digital accessibility of its products and services.
- Advised on the supply of security operations centre (SOC) services by a company specialising in managed cybersecurity services and securing the integrity of IT assets; and prepared template agreements for the client’s business.
- Advised various companies on the laws concerning the installation and use of SIMs/chips in vehicles and other IoT devices.
- Advised on and drafted a wide variety of IT-related commercial contracts (e.g. outsourcing, licensing, development, systems integration, distribution, service levels and end user licence agreements).
- Conducted legal due diligence on companies in various industries including telecommunications, technology, manufacturing, insurance, electronic payment and provision of credit and charge cards and media content.
- Advised various multinational and local companies on data protection issues including compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) and industry laws, drafting the necessary documents such as consent and notice forms and assisting with registration.
- Drafted and reviewed agreements between various companies and third parties such as back-office IT/data processors, subsidiaries and related companies for compliance with the PDPA.
- Assisted various clients on the development of their SOPS/internal working procedures.
- Advised on specific governmental regulations in relation to privacy and data protection across various heavily regulated industries including telecommunications, healthcare, food, insurance and banking industries.
- Advised artists, producers and OTT providers on issues related to media and entertainment including content acquisition and protection, censorship and licensing of rights.
- Drafted various media and entertainment-related agreements.
- Advised on the legal and regulatory issues in Malaysia on online gaming.
- Advised on trade marks, copyright, patents and industrial designs.
- Advised on various commercial IP matters such as distributorship and licensing.
- Conducted legal IP due diligence on companies in various industries including manufacturing, insurance, electronic payment and provision of credit and charge cards and media content in connection with acquisitions and disposals.
- Advised various companies on issues relating to intellectual property in respect of joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and drafted the legal documentation for acquisition and licensing of intellectual property assets.
- Trade Mark Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2011)
- Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple) (2010)
- LL.B (Hons), King’s College London (2009)
- Co-Author, Chambers' TMT guide for Malaysia
- Co-Author, Malaysian chapter for the American Bar Association (ABA)'s Consumer Protection Committee
- Co-Author, Update to LexisNexis Halsbury’s Laws of Malaysia – Media & Communication (2020).
- Contributed to the Malaysian chapter in the latest edition of Lexology Getting the Deal Through – Data Protection & Privacy (2020).