Natalie advises various multinational and local companies on data protection issues including compliance with the privacy and data protection laws as well as drafting the necessary documents such as consent and notice forms, privacy policies, data processor and data transfer agreements and assisting with registration.
She is also part of the TMT practice and advises global telecommunications and technology companies on their service offerings, regularly dealing with complex and novel issues in the industry. She advises on and drafts outsourcing, licensing, development, systems integration and end user licence agreements.
She also advises on e-commerce and gaming issues.
Her experience includes drafting contracts in relation to intellectual property including assignments and licensing.
Key Practice Areas
- Privacy and Data Protection
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Intellectual Property
- Entertainment, Gaming and Media
- Advising various multinational and local companies on data protection issues including compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) and industry laws, drafting the necessary documents such as consent and notice forms and assisting with registration.
- Drafting and reviewing agreements between various companies and third parties such as back-office IT/data processors, subsidiaries and related companies for compliance with the PDPA.
- Assisting various clients on the development of their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)/internal working procedures.
- Advising on specific governmental regulations in relation to privacy and data protection across various heavily regulated industries including telecommunications, healthcare, food, insurance and banking industries.
- Advised on various issues relating to the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, its ancillary regulations and guidelines, including the regulation of communications and multimedia services, licensing requirements, content regulation, interception of telecommunications, technical regulations, consumer protection issues, spectrum assignment, universal service provision and digital signature.
- Advised one of Malaysia’s first subscription-based music, podcast and Video-on-Demand (VOD) operators in respect of its entry into the Malaysian market, including on issues pertaining to telecommunications licensing and content regulation.
- Assisted clients in their application for a licence / registration from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
- Assisted a party involved in the Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) project for the implementation of digital terrestrial television services in Malaysia, an initiative of the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
- Advised clients operating in rapidly changing and converging TMT industries, including regulatory compliance in respect of satellite communications and earth stations, cables, internet service provision, traditional broadcasting, over-the-top services, e-commerce, encryption and import/export controls.
- Advised one of the world’s largest internet-based companies specialising in technology-related communications market on doing business in Malaysia and the regulation of its various mobile services including its messaging and VoIP services, mobile payment and music streaming services.
- Advised on the supply of security operations centre (SOC) services by a company specialising in managed cybersecurity services and securing the integrity of IT assets; and prepared template agreements for the client’s business.
- Advised various companies on the laws concerning the installation and use of SIMs/chips in vehicles and other IoT devices.
- Advised on and drafted a wide variety of commercial contracts used in the IT industry (e.g. outsourcing, licensing, development, systems integration, distribution, service levels and end user licence agreements).
- Conducted legal due diligence on companies in various industries including telecommunications, technology, manufacturing, insurance, electronic payment and provision of credit and charge cards and media content.
- Advising on issues related to media and entertainment, including advising producers, artists and streaming service providers on ownership and licensing of rights.
- Drafting various media and entertainment-related agreements.
- Advised on online gambling in relation to legal and regulatory issues in Malaysia that governs online gaming.
- Advised on trade marks, copyright, patents and industrial designs.
- Advised on various commercial IP matters such as distributorship and licensing.
- Conducted legal IP due diligence on companies in various industries including manufacturing, insurance, electronic payment and provision of credit and charge cards and media content in connection with acquisitions and disposals.
- Advised various companies on issues relating to intellectual property in respect of joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and drafted the legal documentation for acquisition and licensing of intellectual property assets.
- Trade Mark Agent
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2011)
- Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple) (2010)
- LL.B (Hons), King’s College London (2009)
Authored the following articles:
- Co-Author, “Fintech Wave – Malaysia Onboard?”, Computer Law & Security Review (2017).
- Co-author, “Changing Landscape of Telecommunication Services in Malaysia”, Euromoney’s Technology, Media & Telecommunications Expert Guides (2015).
- Author, “New Laws on Electronic Trade Transactions: Consumer Protection (Electronic Trade Transactions) Regulations 2012”, Computer Law & Security Review (2013).
- Author, an update as part of 'Privacy This Week’, DataGuidance (2016).
- Author, “Updates on the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act 2010”, Computer Law & Security Review (2014).
- Author, “Personal Data Protection Act 2010 FAQ”, Computer Law & Security Review (2013).
- Co-author, “Intellectual Property and Competition Law”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, September 2012.