Peh Fern’s areas of practice are in insurance and reinsurance, medical negligence and malpractice, and banking and finance disputes.
She also has experience in commercial litigation and arbitration matters. She has conducted trials at High Court and appeared both as Counsel and Co-Counsel at the Court of Appeal and Federal Court.
Key Practice Areas
- Insurance and Reinsurance Disputes
- Medical Negligence
- Banking and Finance Litigation
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Acted for and advised a leading reinsurance operator/the world’s first Shariah compliant in a reinsurance dispute involving a claim in excess of RM22million and a counterclaim in the region of RM400,000.
- Defended a leading reinsurance company in a reinsurance dispute involving a disputed debt of RM20.5 million.
- Acted for a reinsurance company in a dispute valued at about USD8 million concerning Quota Share Treaty Contracts against European retrocessionaires.
- Acted for a reinsurance company in a dispute involving over 100 reinsurance claims worth about RM18million.
- Advised and acted for a major and leading reinsurance company in a reinsurance dispute involving Facultative Reinsurance Agreements and Original Policy. An issue arose as to whether the Facultative Reinsurance Agreements contain an arbitration clause which refers all disputes between the parties, including those concerning the amount of any loss or damage arising from the Facultative Reinsurance Agreements to arbitration.
- Advised and acted for a reinsurance company in a reinsurance dispute involving Retrocession Contract. The disputed debt is in excess of USD5.8 million.
- Advised and acted for a leading reinsurance organisation in Malaysia in a reinsurance dispute against an Indian insurer arising out of the 2011 Thailand floods. Advised and acted for a leading reinsurance company in Malaysia against an insurance company in Thailand over a retrocession treaty dispute involving a sum of USD274,219.00 arising out of the 2011 Thailand floods.
- Advised insurance and re-insurance companies in various aspects/issues pertaining to policy contracts/agreements.
- Advised and acted for a leading Insurer in Malaysia which is ranked no. 1 in combined Insurance and Takaful business for both Life/Family and General.
- Advised a leading global loss adjusting and claim management company.
- Acted as Co-Counsel for the Appellant in a landmark case of Best Re (L) Limited v Ace Jerneh Insurance Berhad (formerly known as Jerneh Insurance Bhd)  5 MLJ 513 where the Court of Appeal held that a mere general reference to the original contract constituted effective incorporation of an arbitration clause into a reinsurance contract.
- Advised on the duty of an insured company and the duty owed by an insurance broker to an insured in the event of a failure to advise on the possibility of non-coverage of insurance.
- Advised and appeared as Counsel in defending numerous specialist doctors in medical negligence claims/actions and medical malpractice.
- Acting for members of the legal profession in defending civil suits involving allegations of professional negligence.
- Acted and appeared as leading Counsel in a highly contested trial involving allegation of fraud and solicitor’s negligence in respect of a dispute against a reputable member of the legal profession.
- Appeared as Co-Counsel to defend an advocate and solicitor who was being sued for conspiracy to defraud in the High Court case of Liew Chum Wah & Ors v Liew Chee Seng & Ors  MLJU 80.
- Advised and acted for major banks (both in Malaysia and Singapore) in loan agreement disputes.
- Appeared both as Counsel and Co-Counsel in High Court and Court of Appeal for a major bank in Malaysia in a heavily contested case against a borrower for breach of loan facilities. The bank obtained an Order for Sale for a prime piece of land located at Ulu Kelang. Despite the Order for Sale, the borrower filed numerous suits and applications (including stay and injunction) against the bank to delay and frustrate the auction. Some of these cases were reported in the law journals (Perwira Affin Bank Bhd v. Tan Ah Tong  5 MLJ 193).
- Appeared as Counsel for a foreign bank in the High Court case of Re: Chan Teik Huat; Ex-Parte : Oversea- Chinese Banking  MLJU 446 which involved novel issue of whether the bank has failed to convert the Judgment sum (which is in foreign currency) into Ringgit Malaysia at the date of the issuance of the Bankruptcy Notice. The judgment debtor, dissatisfied with the High Court’s decision which was granted in favour of the bank, filed an appeal to the Court of Appeal. Recently, the Court of Appeal affirmed the High Court’s decision.
- Advised and acted for several public listed companies in Malaysia in commercial litigation.
- Advised and acted as Counsel for a plaintiff who is a leading developer (and the principal shareholder is a Malaysian conglomerate with diverse local and international businesses that include forest management, wood products, plantations and property development) in a heavily contested injunction hearing which involved novel issues of whether the defendant had wrongly trespassed onto the plaintiff’s development site and whether the defendant should be restrained from connecting and/or tapping into any of the plaintiff’s water pipes.
- Acted for a Singapore company in a minority shareholders’ oppression disputes with its Malaysian joint venture partner over the management of three 5-star hotels in Malaysia, namely, ‘The Residence’ of Kuala Lumpur, ‘Pangkor Laut Resorts’ at Pangkor Laut, Perak and ‘The Hendrick’ in Kuala Lumpur.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1998)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (1997)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Warwick (1996)
Authored in the following articles:
- Contributing Author, Getting the Deal Through – Insurance Litigation: Malaysian Chapter, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Co-Author, “Doctor Knows Best? Case commentary on Singapore Court of Appeal, Hii Chii Kok v. Ooi Peng Jin London Lucien  SGCA 38.”, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 2/2017, June 2017.
- Co-Author, “Don’t Cover Up, It’ll Blow Your Cover!”, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 4/2016, December 2016.
- Co-Author, “Incorporation by Way of Reference – Best Re (L) Limited v ACE Jerneh Insurance Berhad  MLJU 0256”, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 3/2015, September 2015.
- Author, Case Commentary on Federal Court Case of Score Options Sdn Bhd v Mexaland Development Sdn Bhd  7 CLJ 802 – Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 1/13, 1 March 2013.
- Sat as Presiding Judge in Help Institute / Skrine Moot Competition, 15 June 2012.
- Author, Case Commentary on Ho Ken Seng v Progressive Insurance Sdn Bhd  1 MLJ 297, Court of Appeal, Skrine’s Legal Insights, 1 June 2012.
- Author, Summary: Malaysia Legal System – Multi Jurisdiction Litigation Brochure, 1 June 2011.
- Co-Author, “Civil Actions Against Rulers”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 4/2008, December 2008.
- Author, “Are Receivers & Managers Appointed by Danaharta Protected Under Section 72 of The Danaharta Act?”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2008, June 2008.
- Author, “Case commentary on SCBMB v. Hew Hai Woon  7 CLJ 454 – pitfalls for a charge who signs a charge-in-substitution on behalf of a chargor”, – Skrine’s Legal Insights, Issue 2/2007, July 2007.
Delivered the following presentations:
- Presenter, “Insurance Law”, at seminars organised by the Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Malaya, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017.
- Presenter, “Submissions–Written and Oral Submissions”, an in-house presentation, 1 April 2016.
- Presenter, “Introduction to Insurance Law & Specific Insurance” (Life Assurance & Motor Insurance), an in-house presentation on, 14 June 2011.
- Presenter, “Law of Contract – Breach of Contract & Remedies”, organised by Sime Darby Berhad, 21 May 2010.
- Presenter, “National Land Code – Caveats”, organised by PricewaterhouseCoopers, 23 April 2010.
- Presenter, Foreclosure”, an in-house presentation, 2009.
- Featured as Recommended Global Leaders in Insurance & Reinsurance in Who’s Who Legal for 2017-2019.
- Featured and received good review and recommendations for her insurance practice, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014.