Jocelyn is a dispute resolution partner of Skrine, focusing on construction and engineering disputes.
She acts for clients involved in all aspects of the construction industry from project owners to main contractors, consultants, sub-contractors and suppliers. She also acts for and advises clients in a wide range of projects including rail, airports, power plants, hospitals and other public infrastructure projects; hospitality, data centres and commercial and residential building projects.
She is well-versed with all major standard forms of construction and consultancy contracts, including FIDIC, PAM, JKR or Public Works Department (PWD), CIDB, IEM and BEM standard forms. She also advises clients on a wide range of bespoke contracts.
Apart from representing clients in court, arbitration and adjudication proceedings, Jocelyn sits as an arbitrator and is on the panel of arbitrators of AIAC and Thailand Arbitration Center. She also sits as an adjudicator, and she is an accredited mediator on the panel of Malaysian Mediation Centre.
Jocelyn is listed by ALB as one of Malaysia Rising Stars 2022. She has been described by clients as “quick in response and in-depth knowledge of the subject matter” and being “very accessible, knowledgeable and succinct in her advice”.
Key Practice Areas
- Construction Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication
- Real Estate Disputes
- Construction Compliance and Advisory
- Acted for Solutions Protocol Sdn Bhd in an arbitration against the Government of Malaysia in pursuing a contractual claim of over RM190 million relating to the implementation of a single integrated healthcare information and communication technology (HICT) system at numerous public hospitals nationwide.
- Advised and acted for a Malaysian airport operator in an arbitration for a claim of over RM298 million involving various construction issues and professional liability issues relating to Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2) project.
- Acted for Colas Rail Asia Sdn Bhd and successfully defended a claim relating to a supply contract for the Kelana Jaya Line Extension project.
- Acting for MCC Overseas (M) Sdn Bhd and successfully defended a claim of over RM50 million relating to a subcontract for a high-rise serviced apartments and hotel project along Jalan Conlay.
- Acting for a main contractor in an arbitration against a developer in pursuing a claim of over RM20 million arising from a PAM 2006 standard form for a mixed development project.
- Acting for a main contractor in defending claims from a subcontractor arising from PAM subcontract 2006 for a luxury condominium project at Medini, Nusajaya, Johor.
- Acted successfully for Geopancar Sdn Bhd in the Court of Appeal for its claim of damages under a subcontract for a government building project - Geopancar Sdn Bhd v Visage Engineering Sdn Bhd  4 MLJ 37.
- Acted successfully for Enra Engineering and Fabrications Sdn Bhd in adjudication for a claim of over RM10 million, and in Court, successfully opposed the setting aside of the adjudication decision - Enra Engineering and Fabrication Sdn Bhd v Gemula Sdn Bhd  10 CLJ 33.
- Acted successfully for Merger Insight (M) Sdn Bhd in adjudication, and in Court, successfully opposed the setting aside of the adjudication decision - BM City Realty & Construction Sdn Bhd v Merger Insight (M) Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1567.
- Acting for a developer in defending claims from purchasers relating to the sale and purchase agreements governed by the Housing Development (Control & Licensing) Act 1966.
- Acted for a developer in defending liquidated damages claims arising from the sale and purchase agreements for properties in an integrated hotel-residential-commercial project.
- Acted for subsidiaries of Hunza Group in a dispute with the joint management body involving claims for maintenance charges and sinking fund of over RM55 million.
- Acted against a developer in Court in a dispute involving outstanding liquidated damages and guaranteed rentals.
- Acted for a developer in Court in a dispute with the purchasers involving claims for liquidated damages.
- Advised a Chinese contractor for a claim of over RM130 million relating to Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) Signature Tower.
- Advised a Malaysian airport operator on issues relating to aeronautical charges and late payment charges.
- Advising an EPCC contractor on legal issues relating to a solar park in Malaysia.
- Advising a subcontractor on legal issues relating to a data centre project.
- Advised the works contractor on the construction and completion of the works relating to the Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (KVMRT) project.
- Advised the consortium, which includes a leading multinational infrastructure company headquartered in the UK, on its bid for the engineering, procurement, construction, testing and commissioning contract for the performance of track works relating to the KVMRT project.
- Advised an East Malaysia power plant owner on liquidated damages and extension of time issues arising from a backbone transmission line project.
- General advisory work on a broad spectrum of construction, engineering and infrastructure legal issues including tender, project documentation, statutory registration requirements.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2009)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2007)
- LL.M, University of Northumbria (2008)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Northumbria (2006)
- Advisor, Global Advisory Board of CIICA’s Young Arbitration Group
- Panel Arbitrator, Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC)
- Panel Arbitrator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Panel Adjudicator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Accredited Mediator, Malaysian Mediation centre (MMC)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (FAiADR)
- Member, Society of Construction Law Malaysia
- Member, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Vice President, Malaysian Society of Adjudicators (2018/2020)
- ICC-YAF representative (Malaysia) (2017/2019)
- Chair, Young Members Group of CIArb (2015/2017)
Authored the following articles:
Presented the following talks:
- Co-author, The Elephant in the Room: Court of Appeal clarifies Federal Court’s Decision in Ang Ming Lee, Skrine’s Legal Alert (republished in Lexology), 11 February 2022, click here
- Co-author, A Singaporean Perspective: Recognising an oral variation in the face of No Oral Modification Clauses, Skrine’s Legal Alert (republished in Lexology),21 January 2022, click here
- Author, Multi-tiered Dispute Resolution Pre-conditions are Matters within the Jurisdiction of the Arbitrator, Skrine’s Legal Alert (republished in Lexology), 6 July 2021), click here
- Co-author, The Continuing Rise of Statutory Adjudications In 2019, Skrine’s Legal Alert (republished in ILO’s publication and Lexology, October 2020, click here
- Co-author, Development Since Ang Ming Lee, Skrine’s Legal Alert (republished in Mondaq), September 2020), click here
- Author, Development in Statutory Adjudication in 2018, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 02/2019 (republished in ILO’s publication and Lexology on 9 September 2019)
- Author, Developments in Statutory Adjudication in 2017, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 01/2018 (republished in ILO’s publication on 21 May 2018)
- Author, The Development of Statutory Adjudication in Malaysia, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 04/2016 (republished in International Law Office’s publication on 26 June 2017)
- Co-Author, the South Asia Chapter on the Shifting Trends in Arbitration, ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin, Issue 3/2017
- Author, Rough Justice, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 03/2013
- Author, Aligning Arbitration in India with International Practice, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 04/2012, click here
- Panel author for LexisNexis’ newly launched Lexis PSL
- SkrineCast/Podcast: Construction Tool Kit - Tips For Overcoming The Pandemic, 14 February 2022, click here
- Speaker, "Work in Progress Series, Working on: #SocialDistancing", webinar organised in collaboration with WeCan Academy, 31 July 2021
- Speaker, "Fight, Flight or Freeze?: Online Dispute Resolution During the Covid-19 Pandemic", KL Bar Young Lawyer Committee webinar, 10 June 2021
- Speaker, “How Can Construction Industry Players Survive the Impact of Covid-19?” webinar, 7 April 2020
- Speaker, “Covid-19 Pandermic: Government’s Attempts to Reduce the Impact – How Effective Would They Be” webinar, 18 November 2020
- Moderator, “Careers in Arbitration: Practical Tips for Young Lawyers” CIICA’s webinar, 26 August 2020
- 主讲人,“疫情下的投资马来西亚”, Lex Mundi与思纪龄律所协办网络研讨会, 2020年8月5日 / Speaker, “Investing in Malaysia under COVID-19” webinar, 5 August 2020
- 主持人, “如何将挑战变成投资机会”网络研讨会, 2020年5月20日 / Moderator, “Post Covid-19 in Malaysia – How to Turn Challenges to Investment Opportunities?” webinar, 20 May 2020
- 主讲人,“雇主和建筑业界人士该如何挺过新型冠状肺炎所带来的冲击” 网络研讨会, 2020年4月15日 / Speaker, “Employers and Construction Industry Players Survival Kit for COVID-19” webinar, 15 April 2020
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum South Asia Regional Conference 2018, Goa India, 7-9 December 2018
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum, 2 March 2018
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum, 17 March 2017
- Speaker, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ International Arbitration Conference 2017, Dubai, 8-9 March 2017
- Organising Chair, 1st Regional Conference of the Young Members Group of CIArb (Malaysia Branch), 19 August 2016
"Quick in response and in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.”
- Listed by Asian Legal Business as one of Malaysia Rising Stars 2022.
- “She is a competent and dedicated lawyer. Knows her stuff but at the same time not afraid to admit the need to undertake further research before providing her opinion on certain matters.” - asialaw Profiles 2021
- asialaw Profiles 2021
“Solid technical advice and strategy.”
- asialaw Profiles 2021
- “Jocelyn Lim is a very capable litigator more than able to hold her own. She is very easy to work with” – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- “Very accessible, knowledgeable and succinct in her advice.” – asialaw Profiles 2020