Jocelyn focuses on construction and engineering disputes. She acts and advises international, regional and local clients and she is well-versed with all major standard forms of construction and consultancy contract, including FIDIC, PAM, JKR or Public Works Department (PWD), CIDB, IEM and BEM forms, and on a wide range of bespoke construction contracts. Her practice includes advising on issues relating to consultants, architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and project managers.
Jocelyn sits as an adjudicator and is a panel adjudicator of the Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC). She is also on the panel of arbitrators of Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC) and AIAC.
Key Practice Areas
- Construction Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication
- Construction Compliance and Advisory
- Acted as junior counsel for Solutions Protocol Sdn Bhd in an arbitration against the Government of Malaysia in pursuing a contractual claim of over RM150 million relating to the implementation of a single integrated healthcare information and communication technology (HICT) system at numerous public hospitals nationwide.
- Acting as junior counsel for a main contractor in an arbitration in pursuing a claim of over RM20 million arising from a PAM 2006 standard form for a mixed development project.
- Acting for a main contractor in defending claims from a subcontractor arising from PAM subcontract 2006 for a luxury condominium project at Medini, Nusajaya, Johor.
- Acting for MCC Overseas (M) Sdn Bhd and successfully defended a claim of over RM50 million relating to a subcontract for a high-rise serviced apartments and hotel project along Jalan Conlay.
- Acted for Colas Rail Asia Sdn Bhd and successfully defended a claim relating to a supply contract for the Kelana Jaya Line Extension project.
- Acted successfully for Geopancar Sdn Bhd in the Court of Appeal for its claim of damages under a subcontract for a government building project - Geopancar Sdn Bhd v Visage Engineering Sdn Bhd  4 MLJ 37.
- Acted successfully for Enra Engineering and Fabrications Sdn Bhd in adjudication for a claim of over RM10 million, and in Court, successfully opposed the setting aside of the adjudication decision - Enra Engineering and Fabrication Sdn Bhd v Gemula Sdn Bhd  10 CLJ 33
- Acted successfully for Merger Insight (M) Sdn Bhd in adjudication, and in Court, successfully opposed the setting aside of the adjudication decision - BM City Realty & Construction Sdn Bhd v Merger Insight (M) Sdn Bhd  MLJU 1567.
- Acted for subsidiaries of Hunza Group in a dispute with the joint management body involving claims for maintenance charges and sinking fund of over RM55 million.
- Acted against a developer in Court in a dispute involving outstanding liquidated damages and guaranteed rentals.
- Acting for a developer in Court in a dispute with the purchasers involving claims for liquidated damages.
- Advised a Chinese contractor for a claim of over RM130 million relating to Tun Razak Exchange (TRX) Signature Tower.
- Advised and acted for a Malaysian airport operator in an arbitration for a claim of over RM298 million involving various construction issues and professional liability issues relating to Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2) project.
- Advised a Malaysian airport operator on issues relating to aeronautical charges and late payment charges.
- Advised the works contractor on the construction and completion of the works relating to the Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit (KVMRT) project.
- Advised the consortium, which includes a leading multinational infrastructure company headquartered in the UK, on its bid for the engineering, procurement, construction, testing and commissioning contract for the performance of track works relating to the KVMRT project.
- Advised an East Malaysia power plant owner on liquidated damages and extension of time issues arising from a backbone transmission line project.
- General advisory work on a broad spectrum of construction, engineering and infrastructure legal issues including tender, project documentation, statutory registration requirements.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2009)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2007)
- LL.M, University of Northumbria (2008)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Northumbria (2006)
- Advisor, Global Advisory Board of CIICA’s Young Arbitration Group
- Panel Arbitrator, Thailand Arbitration Center (THAC)
- Panel Arbitrator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Panel Adjudicator, Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (FAiADR)
- Member, Society of Construction Law Malaysia
- Member, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators
- Vice President, Malaysian Society of Adjudicators (2018/2020)
- ICC-YAF representative (Malaysia) 2017/2019
- Chair, Young Members Group of CIArb (2015/2017)
Authored the following articles:
Presented the following talks:
- Author, The Continuing Rise of Statutory Adjudications In 2019, Skrine’s Legal Alert (October 2020) (republished in International Law Office’s publication and Lexology on 21 December 2020)
- Author, Development Since Ang Ming Lee, Skrine’s Legal Alert (September 2020), click here (republished in Mondaq on 25 September 2020)
- Author, Development in Statutory Adjudication in 2018, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 02/2019 (republished in International Law Office’s publication and Lexology on 9 September 2019)
- Author, Developments in Statutory Adjudication in 2017, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 01/2018 (republished in International Law Office’s publication on 21 May 2018)
- Author, The Development of Statutory Adjudication in Malaysia, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 04/2016 (republished in International Law Office’s publication on 26 June 2017)
- Author, Rough Justice, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 03/2013
- Author, Aligning Arbitration in India with International Practice, Skrine’s Legal Insights Issue 04/2012
- Panel author for LexisNexis’ newly launched Lexis PSL
- Speaker, “How Can Construction Industry Players Survive the Impact of Covid-19?” webinar, 7 April 2020
- Speaker, “Covid-19 Pandermic: Government’s Attempts to Reduce the Impact – How Effective Would They Be” webinar, 18 November 2020
- Moderator, “Careers in Arbitration: Practical Tips for Young Lawyers” CIICA’s webinar, 26 August 2020
- 主讲人,“疫情下的投资马来西亚”, Lex Mundi与思纪龄律所协办网络研讨会, 2020年8月5日 / Speaker, “Investing in Malaysia under COVID-19” webinar, 5 August 2020
- 主持人, “如何将挑战变成投资机会”网络研讨会, 2020年5月20日 / Moderator, “Post Covid-19 in Malaysia – How to Turn Challenges to Investment Opportunities?” webinar, 20 May 2020
- 主讲人,“雇主和建筑业界人士该如何挺过新型冠状肺炎所带来的冲击” 网络研讨会, 2020年4月15日 / Speaker, “Employers and Construction Industry Players Survival Kit for COVID-19” webinar, 15 April 2020
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum South Asia Regional Conference 2018, Goa India, 7-9 December 2018
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum, 2 March 2018
- Speaker, International Chambers of Commerce (ICC) Young Arbitrators Forum, 17 March 2017
- Speaker, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ International Arbitration Conference 2017, Dubai, 8-9 March 2017
- Organising Chair, 1st Regional Conference of the Young Members Group of CIArb (Malaysia Branch), 19 August 2016
- “Jocelyn Lim is a very capable litigator more than able to hold her own. She is very easy to work with” – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- “Very accessible, knowledgeable and succinct in her advice.” – asialaw Profiles 2020
- She is a competent and dedicated lawyer. Knows her stuff but at the same time not afraid to admit the need to undertake further research before providing her opinion on certain matters.” - asialaw Profiles 2021
- “Quick in response and in-depth knowledge of the subject matter.” - asialaw Profiles 2021
- “Solid technical advice and strategy.” - asialaw Profiles 2021