Addy is a corporate transactional partner whose portfolio focuses on mergers & acquisitions, foreign direct investments and joint ventures.
Addy is one of the liaison partners for Skrine’s China Desk. He is fluent in English and Mandarin, professionally in both written and spoken form.
He regularly acts for multinational and foreign corporations in cross border transactions, joint ventures and investments. He has regularly acted for insurers and advised on financial services and insurance related laws. He also advises Malaysian corporations on compliance, corporate and regulatory issues as part of his corporate advisory work. He has also advised and acted for Chinese corporations in infrastructure and other projects.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisitions 兼并与收购
- Investments 投资、合资
- Insurance and Reinsurance 保险以及再保险
- Corporate Restructuring 企业重组
- Corporate Advisory 企业咨询
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised a Chinese consortium in the acquisition of a world leading hard disk component manufacturing group in a deal worth approximately USD650 million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised Mitsubishi Materials Corporation in the acquisition of the Special Products Division which specialises in the manufacture and distribution of processed copper products from Luvata Group in a deal worth Euro335 million.
- Acted for and advised Nichirei Logistics Group Inc. in its acquisition of an important stake in a wholly owned subsidiary of Khazanah Nasional Berhad which specialises in premier temperature-controlled logistics solutions.
- Acted for and advised a Japanese listed corporation in its acquisition of a majority stake in a rapidly growing online cosmetics and beauty products Malaysian distribution company. The deal includes further options of acquiring the entire equity in the target.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised a Japanese based multinational corporation in its investment in a private healthcare service provider which operates more than 20 hospitals across India, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia.
- Part of the transaction team which represented a foreign multinational corporation in its acquisition of a majority stake in a Malaysian insurance company and the establishment of a joint venture company with a local partner.
- Part of the transaction team which represented a giant Malaysian fund management company in its acquisition of the entire equity of a highway concession company for a purchase consideration of approximately RM380million.
- Acted for and advised a Forbes Top 100 multinational company based in China in a potential joint venture to develop hybrid project involving approximately 500 acres of land in a deal worth more than RM1billion.
- Acted for and advised a China based manufacturing company who specialises in manufacturing electric products in forming a joint venture company in Malaysia to manufacture specialised electric products.
- Acted for and advised a foreign direct sale company based in Texas, Houston, U.S. in its establishment and set up of a subsidiary in Malaysia. Advised on the obtaining of regulatory approval and the structuring of business model focusing on selling service-based product: the first of its kind in multi-level marketing industry in Malaysia.
- Acted for and advised a U.S. based conglomerate in its establishment of business in Malaysia which includes a synergy of direct sale strategy and development of food and health-dietary products.
- Advised a private investor in a potential investment in a solar power project through an investment structure involving a mixture of equity and loan.
- Advised a Malaysian insurer in a bancassurance arrangement with a Malaysian licensed financial institution, drafted and prepared the bancassurance agreement.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised AXA in its development of online distribution channel with various distributors and agencies.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel and advised a multinational insurer in its global reinsurance arrangement.
- Advised a payment system operator in a collaboration with a multinational insurer to establish an online portal for the provision of claim administration services.
- Acted for and advised SCOR SE, a leading global reinsurer in its global restructuring exercise which involves the restructuring of foreign Labuan reinsurers, regulatory licence applications and scheme of transfer of reinsurance portfolios.
- Advised one of the largest India corporations in its restructuring exercise which involves the acquisition of a manufacturing company through its subsidiary based in Dubai for a value of approximately RM800million.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for and advised Reckitt Benckiser group in its restructuring exercise which involves the split of its health and hygiene home business units.
- Advised the Malaysian subsidiary of Reliance Industries Inc. in conducting a full scope regulatory compliance due diligence exercise.
- Advised a China based giant multinational company in the incorporation of a Malaysian subsidiary for the purpose of establishing international data centre.
- Advised a foreign corporation in undertaking tour operating business in Malaysia and advised on the regulatory licensing requirements.
- Advised a U.S. based direct sale company in respect of the drafting and preparation of its direct sale contracts and compensation plan.
- Advised a China based company in a potential establishment of bird nest processing centre in Malaysia.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2012)
- Barrister-at-Law (Inner Temple) (2011)
- Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School London (2011)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Manchester (2010)
- Consultant, MCA Belt and Road Centre (Mbrace)
- Legal Committee, Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Kuala Lumpur & Selangor
- Member, Inter Pacific Bar Association
Authored the following articles:
- Author, “Public M&A 2018, Malaysia Chapter”, Getting the Deal Through.
- Author, “Mergers & Acquisitions 2017, Malaysia Chapter”, Getting the Deal Through.
Presented the following talks:
- Speaker and Session Coordinator, legal seminars organised by the China Enterprises Association, 2017 & 2018) 作为主讲人之一在中资企业（马来西亚）协会主办的法律座谈会 (2017 & 2018年度) 上就法律议题发表讲座，也作为及时翻译人和问与答环节的主持人回答与会者的问题.
- Presenter, Companies Act 2016 at a seminar organised by PricewaterhouseCoopers and the China Entrepreneurs Association in Malaysia作为主讲人之一在普华永道和马来西亚中国企业家联合会举办的法律座谈会上就新2016年公司法令发表讲座.
- Speaker, Contract Management, annual conference of Federation of Manufacturers of Malaysia
- Speaker, “Legal Due Diligence – the Necessary Evil of Mergers & Acquisitions”, KL Bar’s professional development programme.
- Speaker, corporate workshop on “Share Sale Transaction – From Start to Finish”, KL Bar’s professional development programme.