Theresa is a consultant of the firm with over 40 years in practice.
She has a wide range of experience in corporate advisory, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, banking and finance and commercial transactions. She advises and represents multinational clients on investments and businesses in Malaysia and cross border loans against security over Malaysian assets. She also represents clients in real estate project development and in infrastructure and transport projects.
Of particular note is her work in representing institutions to set up and operate educational institutions in Malaysia and representing hotel operators and owners of hotels in the hospitality and tourism sectors.
She also advises on and set up structures for trusts and charities and wealth management.
Key Practice Areas
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Banking and Finance
- Corporate Advisory and Transactions
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Acted for a financial institution in respect of the purchase of land within the TRX Exchange for its headquarters as well as in the common estate agreement which governs the management of common property and certain infrastructure between the master developer and all purchasers.
- Acted for the rail infrastructure owner in respect of transit-oriented developments.
- Acted for rail infrastructure owner in several transactions involving the co-existence of the mass rapid transit system in the Klang Valley with relevant land owners.
- Drafting and advising on syndicated banking facilities for the purpose of project financing including the drafting of security documents such as debentures, assignment of project proceeds account, assignment of project proceeds, assignment of cash control account, assignment of insurance proceeds, assignment of sub-contracts, assignment of advance payment guarantees, memorandum of deposit and assignment of performance bonds.
- Advising and drafting debt restructuring agreements.
- Advising from the viewpoint of the laws of Malaysia a gold loan facility agreement and a gold and foreign currency hedging agreement, making the relevant application to the Foreign Investment Committee regarding the creation of securities, making the relevant application to Bank Negara regarding the taking of the facilities, drafting the security documents relating to assets in Malaysia which includes the creation of charges over mining tenements.
- Advising from the viewpoint of the laws of Malaysia facilities granted by off shore syndicate of lenders concerning facilities granted to a Malaysian company for the purpose of project financing or as the case may be, concerning facilities granted to a related corporation of a Malaysian company, which facilities are to be secured over assets of a Malaysian company, and drafting the security documents relating to assets in Malaysia, drafting and submitting the relevant application to the Controller of Foreign Exchange and other relevant regulatory authorities in Malaysia, issuing counsels opinion in respect of the status of the Malaysian borrower or security provider, the enforceability of the obligations of the Malaysian borrower/security provider and enforceability of the security documents relating to assets in Malaysia.
- Advising on issues relating to taking of security over Malaysian assets in relation to 5 proposed renewable energy projects in Malaysia.
- Acted for an Australian urban developer in its joint venture (as a strategic development partner) with the real estate/property arm of a major GLC and negotiated the Heads of Terms and Shareholders Agreement relating to RM8,000,000,000 Lifestyle Quarter, a retail-led mixed-use development comprising of a hotel, residential towers and retail mall in the new financial hub in Kuala Lumpur, namely, The TRX Exchange.
- Acted for offshore funds in respect of investment in forestry projects, advising on the applicable Malaysian laws, structures, drafting, negotiating and advising on project agreement, management agreement, trust agreement, shareholders/joint venture agreements.
- Acted for foreign corporations in respect of iron ore, limestone and other mining projects in Malaysia.
- Acted for Malaysian distributors of various automobile marques in relation to the importation and distribution, assembly and distribution, after sales service and dealership of motor vehicles.
- Acted for hotel owners as well as international hotel chains in respect of hotel management and other operating agreements.
- Acted for Malaysian educational institutions as well as offshore educational institutions in respect of collaboration agreements and joint ventures in the field of education.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (1977)
- LL.B (Hons) University of Malaya (1977)
- Listed as a “Spotlight” practitioner in Real Estate by Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020.
- Listed as a "Leading Individual" for Corporate and M&A in Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018 - 2019
- "She is highly-regarded for her expertise in advising foreign corporations on setting up businesses in Malaysia, joint ventures, negotiating and drafting of corporate structures, and also on inbound/outbound investments." - Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2018