Laarnia is an associate in the firm’s Construction and Engineering practice, with experience in Construction Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication.
Key Practice Areas
- Construction Litigation, Arbitration and Adjudication
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Environment, Safety and Health
- Representing a main contractor against the Government in a dispute involving the design, construction, upgrading, equipping and maintenance of infrastructure double track and related systems of the Klang Valley Double Track Phase 2 Project valued at approximately RM 4.48 billion.
- Represented a main contractor against the subcontractor in a dispute involving the supply of skilled and experienced manpower and/or services or goods in several subcontracts for the Klang Valley Double Track Phase 2 Project with the amount in dispute of more than RM 6 million.
- Represented a main contractor against the employer in a dispute involving the design, construction, supply, installation and testing of The Exchange 106 valued at approximately RM 470 million.
- Representing a statutory body in related appeals on application(s) to set aside an arbitration award and/or refer questions of law from the award arising from a Government concession agreement with the amount in dispute in the region of RM 55 million on appeal.
- Representing a main contractor in respect of a statutory derivative action for a claim by the sub-contractor in excess of RM 40 million. This claim involves a design & build of a sewerage pipeline Project with the Government valued in excess of RM 365 million.
- Representing an airport operator in resisting a claim of more than RM 450 million from a major airline company for alleged breach of contract and tort in respect of the management, operation and maintenance of certain airports in Malaysia.
- Representing an airport operator in multiple high-profile civil suits against major airline companies concerning outstanding passenger service charges in excess of RM 40 million (Malaysia Airports (Sepang) Sdn Bhd v AirAsia X Bhd  11 MLJ 709).
- Conducting a due diligence for an international construction engineering company in connection with a bid for an integrated waste management treatment and management business.
- Represented a subsidiary of a Canadian recycling and manufacturing company in a statutory appeal under the Environmental Quality Act 1974 against a decision by a state Director of the Department of Environment to suspend the company’s licence for allegedly importing scheduled waste without prior written approval.
- Represented a subsidiary of a Japanese manufacturing company in a civil suit for alleged breach of tortious and statutory under the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1994. The claim involved disease allegedly caused by exposure to chemicals at a Methylmethacrylate Butadiene Styrene plant.
- Representing an airport operator creditor in respect of an airline debt restructuring scheme with liabilities in excess of RM 64.15 billion (Airasia X Bhd v BOC Aviation Ltd & Ors  10 MLJ 942).
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2019)
- Barrister-at-Law (Inner Temple) (2016)
- LL.B (Hons), University of London (2015)
- Member, Bar Council’s Environment and Climate Change Committee (2021/2022)
- Founding Member, Young Society of Construction Law Malaysia
- Member, Bar Council Migrants, Refugees and Immigration Affairs Committee (2021/2022)
- Member, Bar Council Women’s Rights Committee (2021/2022)
- Member, Kuala Lumpur Bar Committee Gender Equality & Diversity Committee (2019/2020)
Authored in the following articles:
- Co-author, “Remote Hearings in the Time of COVID-19”, Mondaq (12 May 2020)
- Co-author, “A New Dawn for International Mediation?”, Mondaq (24 June 2020)
Delivered the following presentation/talks:
- Moderator, webinar on "Impact of COVID-19 on Migrant Workers & Refugees" organised by the YSCL in collaboration with the Bar Council Human Rights Committee (9 May 2020)
- Moderator, webinar on "Young & Female in Construction" organised by the YSCL (1 May 2020)
- Speaker, "An Overview of the Construction Industry in Malaysia" organised by the YSCL in collaboration with the AIAC and the University of Westminster (January 2020)