Gooi is an associate in the Intellectual Property and TMT practice of Skrine. His main portfolio focuses on IP litigation and enforcement. He frequently represents local and foreign clients in a wide range of intellectual property disputes including patents, trade marks, copyright, passing off and domain names.
He also regularly acts for and advises domestic and international brands in brand protection and anti-counterfeiting strategies. This includes devising and implementing online monitoring and enforcement programmes as well as organising and supporting enforcement actions conducted by the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs against counterfeiters.
Gooi graduated from the University of Hertfordshire with an LL.B (Hons) degree in 2015. He completed the Bar Professional Training Course at BPP Law School, London and was subsequently called to the Bar of England and Wales by the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn in July 2016. He was admitted to practice as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in November 2017. He has been with the firm since his pupillage and joined Skrine’s Intellectual Property Division after his admission to the Malaysian Bar.
Key Practice Areas
- IP Litigation and Enforcement
- Branding, Franchising and Licensing
- Acted as junior counsel in a multi-tiered patent invalidation and infringement dispute for a major cargo scanning device manufacturer from the People’s Republic of China. We successfully obtained judgment in favour of our client in two separate suits against similar parties, including the Government of Malaysia, and we continue to represent our client in multiple appeals arising from both suits at the Court of Appeal and Federal Court.
- Acted as junior counsel for a local biscuit manufacturer at the Court of Appeal and Federal Court in a trade mark infringement and passing off dispute.
- Acted as junior counsel for a local rice manufacturer and distributor in a trade mark infringement, copyright infringement and passing off suit. We successfully obtained judgment in favour of our client on all causes of action and an award of damages of RM4.2 m at the High Court and successfully upheld the judgment on appeal at the Court of Appeal.
- Acted as junior counsel in successfully defending and dismissing 3 related criminal prosecutions under the Trade Descriptions Act 2010 against a local hair and beauty products company.
- Acted as junior counsel in a multi-jurisdiction trade mark dispute for a multinational direct selling company.
- Acted as junior counsel in a patent infringement suit between two major multinational telecommunications companies involving Standard Essential Patents.
- Overseeing online enforcement programmes against the sale of counterfeit and pirated goods on e-commerce platforms and enforcement raids conducted by the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs for local and international brands.
- Assisted in the successful filings of administrative Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (“UDRP”) proceedings which successfully obtained the transfer of a disputed domain name for an international sports management and marketing company.
- Represented a global entertainment conglomerate in music licensing negotiations for the launch of their SVOD service in Malaysia.
- Conducted an IP due diligence for a local entertainment company for IP risks arising from the termination of their partnership with an international media company.
- Advised a leading local entertainment company on securing movie licensing rights from the relevant collective management organisation for the public performance of copyrighted movies at an outdoor event
- Acted as junior counsel in multiple related director and shareholder disputes at the High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court involving a local holding company with subsidiaries in Hong Kong, the People’s Republic of China and the British Virgin Islands.
- Acted as junior counsel for a locally renowned jewellery business in resisting a civil forfeiture action linked to the 1Malaysia Development Berhad scandal. We successfully dismissed the forfeiture application instituted by the Public Prosecutor at the High Court and dismissed the Public Prosecutor’s appeal at the Court of Appeal.
- Acted as junior counsel in successfully defending and dismissing a defamation suit against a former politician.
- Acted as junior counsel for a global leading provider of broadband network products, services and solutions in a commercial dispute which successfully repossessed certain VSAT equipment.
- Acted as junior counsel for a Malaysian-Japanese joint-venture manufacturing corporation in successfully obtaining summary judgment for non-payment of debt.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2017)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2016)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Hertfordshire (2015)
- Author, “The Copyright (Amendment) Act 2022 & Related Subsidiary Legislation”, March 2022
- Author, “Clash of the Technology Titans: Google v Oracle”, April 2021
Co-author, “Guardians of the (Bio-Resources) Galaxy – the Saga Continues”, February 2021
- Author, “Infringing for the Gram: Copyright Infringement in the Era of TikTok, Instagram Story and Facebook Live”, July 2020
- Co-author, “Fake Goods Epidemic During The COVID-19 Global Pandemic”, July 2020
- Co-author, “Filling the Gap in Trade Marks: The Trademarks Bill 2019”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, August 2019
- Co-author, “Guardians of the (Bio-Resource) Galaxy”, Skrine’s Legal Insights, December 2017.