Corrinne specialises in employment disputes and advisory. She routinely handles employment disputes in the Industrial Court and Civil Courts. She also advises on the full spectrum of employment or human resource related matters from hiring to dismissal, including those relating to retrenchment, poor performance, misconduct, closure of business, and sale of business or assets. She has experience drafting and reviewing contracts and policies for compliance with local law and recommended practice, and regularly deals with international clients and counterparts.
Her portfolio extends to anti-corruption compliance work; and corporate, internal and regulatory investigations where she provides internal crisis management strategy support. She assists on investigations into suspected fraud, corruption, and other misconduct, including data analysis, conducting interviews and cooperating with the regulators and internal, external and forensic investigation teams.
She is also a corporate and commercial litigator, and does work in the areas of commercial disputes and international arbitration involving high-value and complex cases.
Key Practice Areas
- Employment Advisory and Compliance
- Employment Disputes
- Employee Fraud Management and Investigations
- Anti-Corruption and Anti-Money Laundering
- Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- International Arbitration
- Acting for a multinational oil and gas company in the High Court and Appellate Court in an action against an ex-employee from senior management for breach of confidentiality obligations with claims in excess of RM5 million, including successfully obtaining an injunction, search order and protective order.
- Acting for a major financial institution in the Appellate Court in opposing a wrongful termination claim for damages in the millions (RM) and director’s allowances.
- Acting for a financial institution ranked on Fortune 500 in the Industrial Court in a claim arising from allegations of constructive dismissal by a senior employee.
- Acting for a multinational insurance company in the High Court in a judicial review application relating to a claim arising from allegations of sexual harassment committed by a senior employee.
- Acting for a multinational company ranked on Fortune 500 and successfully striking out the claim commenced by an ex-employee arising from alleged salary arrears.
- Spearheading the investigations of a management investment company into suspected corruption / criminal conduct including conducting interviews and data analysis, advising on its reporting obligations and potential legal and regulatory exposure, and liaising with the authorities.
- Advising and assisting (as part of the core investigation team comprising of local and international counterparts) a multinational company ranked on Forbes Global 2000 on corporate investigations into suspected fraud and misconduct.
- Spearheading the investigations of a multinational semiconductor manufacturer into a whistle-blower’s claims of sexual harassment.
- Assisting a multinational oil and gas company on investigations commenced by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), including advising on dawn raid and seizures, and liaising and cooperating with MACC.
- Spearheading the investigations of a multinational medical healthcare provider into claims of health, safety and environment hazards and misconduct.
- Advising on anti-corruption compliance matters arising from the due diligence of a multinational oil and gas company’s sale of its exploration and production business with a transaction value of USD 2.13 billion.
- Advising one of the big five technology companies on local anti-corruption law and practices.
- Advising and assisting a multinational insurance company in its compliance audit including assessing corruption risks of the business, reviewing and drafting anti-corruption, whistleblowing and procurement policies.
- Advising and assisting a multinational agriculture producer and distributor in its anti-corruption compliance audit.
- Advising on anti-corruption compliance matters of a leading multinational energy ranked on Forbes Global 2000.
- Advising and assisting a market-leading global manufacturer of steel products in its anti-corruption compliance audit including reviewing internal policies, and identifying gaps and remedial actions.
- Acting in the Appellate Court in an appeal involving the setting aside of an arbitration award pertaining to breaches of a government concession agreement with claims in excess of RM100 million.
- Acting in the Appellate Court for a multinational insurance company in an appeal involving the transfer of liability pursuant to a business portfolio transfer agreement with claims in excess of RM5 million, including successfully opposing an application for leave to appeal to the Federal Court.
- Acting in the Appellate Court for a developer in a dispute involving the recovery of architect’s fees by way of statutory adjudication pursuant to the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012.
- Acting in the High Court for one of the world’s top 150 public companies in applying for a business scheme of transfer pursuant to the Islamic Financial Services Act 2013.
- Acting in an international arbitration (Asian International Arbitration Centre) involving an oppression action filed by the minority shareholder of a multinational oil and gas company with a claim sum of approximately RM45 million.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2016)
- Barrister-at-Law (Middle Temple) (2015)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Cardiff (2014)
- Member, Malaysian Society for Labour and Social Security Laws (local chapter of International Society for Labour and Social Security Laws)
- Co-author, “Post-employment restrictions : non-compete clauses”, International Bar Association Asia Pacific Regional Forum Newsletter – May 2020
- Co-Speaker, “An Introduction to Employment Law”, Kuala Lumpur Bar, 20 September 2019
- Co-author, “Malaysia: The Merchant Shipping (Amendment) Act 2017: A Sea Change?”, Skrine Legal Insights Issue 4/2017