Mei Quin is a senior associate in the firm’s Employment practice. She has acted for and advised employers on a wide range of employment and industrial relations issues, both contentious and non-contentious, including reviewing and drafting employment handbooks and contracts, mutual separation and voluntary separation agreements; advising on grounds of dismissal, retrenchment and compliance issues; assisting and representing companies in employment disputes in the Industrial Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court. She also assists on investigations into suspected fraud, corruption and other misconduct wherein she is required to analyse data, conduct interview, cooperate with internal, external and forensic investigation teams and advise on remedial measures post-investigations. Her portfolio also extends to immigration employment work and civil litigation.
Key Practice Areas
- Employment Disputes
- Employment Advisory and Compliance
- Employee Fraud Management and Investigations
- Civil litigation
- Assisted and acted as a junior counsel for a publicly listed government linked entity in an appeal in relation to the dismissal of General Manager of Finance in the Court of Appeal and Federal Court.
- Assisted and acted as a junior counsel for a statutory body pertaining to the implementation and execution of public salary schemes in the High Court.
- Assisted and acted as a junior counsel for a leading international shipping company in a judicial review pertaining to the dismissal of a high-ranking employee towards the expiry of a fixed term contract.
- Assisted and acted as a junior counsel for a leading and progressive distributor for industrial electrical and instrumentation products company in a judicial review pertaining to the dismissal of a high-ranking employee for poor performance.
- Advised and assisted a premier healthcare company in a judicial review pertaining to the dismissal of an employee for poor performance.
- Independently advised and acted as a counsel for a large telco-service provider in relation to the dismissal of an employee of misconduct.
- Independently advised and acted as a counsel for a glove manufacturer company in relation to disputes of employment benefits brought by former employee in the labour court.
- Assisted and acted as junior counsel for the Malaysia subsidiary of a South Korean manufacturing company which specialises in home appliances in relation to the dismissal of a high-ranking employee during probation.
- Assisted and acted as junior counsel for the Malaysian subsidiary of a cybersecurity and anti-virus provider company headquartered in Moscow in a constructive dismissal claim brought by the former General Manager of SEA.
- Advised and represented the Malaysia subsidiary of one of the largest property developers in China to resist a constructive dismissal claim brought by a former director in the Industrial Court.
- Advised the Malaysian subsidiary of a Japan electronics company pertaining to regulatory compliance in respect of local labour law and practice.
- Advised a company that specialises in printing services for banks and financial institutions in managing the termination of employees due to business closure.
- Advised the Malaysia subsidiary of a multinational corporation with its head quarter in Germany that involved in the business of engineering, commissioning and maintenance of industrial plants in managing the dismissal of a director on ground of misconduct e.g. harassment, misused of company's asset, falsifying invoices and etc.
- Assisted a multinational company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture and home accessories in drafting their employment contract and personal data protection notice in compliance with local law.
- Assisted a subsidiary of a German company that specialises in dryer fabrics on various employment issues including claiming against former employee for payment in lieu of notice of resignation, advising on the process of transfer of employees within the group companies and preparing the documentation to effect the same.
- Advised a subsidiary of a UK company that specialised in fuel cards with fleet technology on queries relating to general employment and industrial relations laws in Malaysia; and reviewing and amending UK employment contract template for compliance with local laws.
- General drafting and reviewing of employment related documents, among others, employment contracts, handbooks, data and privacy policies, show cause letters, warning letters, suspension letters, notice of retirement; redundancy letters, dismissal letters and etc.
- Provided written and verbal advice to companies involving summary termination, medical boarding out, poor performance, retrenchment, mutual separation agreements, compliance with local labour law and practice.
- Spearheading the investigations of a management investment company into suspected corruption / criminal conduct including conducting interviews and data analysis, advising on its reporting obligations and potential legal and regulatory exposure.
- Spearheading the investigations of a multinational semiconductor manufacturer into a whistle-blower’s claims of sexual harassment.
- Provided immigration advisory work including on the employment of expatriates and foreign workers and on the issuance of various types of valid passes for long term stay in Malaysia.
- Advised and acted for a subsidiary company which belongs to a French multinational corporation that primarily engaged in the production and distribution of construction products on issues relating to and arising from bad debts as well as recovery of bad debts through court proceedings.
- Advised and acted for one of the world’s low-cost air carrier in defending a claim brought by a former employee on breach of separation agreement and counterclaimed for breach of statutory, contractual and common law duties and responsibilities.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2014)
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn) (2013)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Liverpool (2012)
- Member, Bar Council’s Industrial and Employment Law Committee
- Co-author, Malaysian Chapter in “Educational Institutions: A Legal and Regulatory Handbook for Setting up Overseas”, Global Law and Business Ltd
- Co-author, “Workers’ Accommodation Standards”, Skrine’s Legal Insights
- Co-author, “2019年员工房屋、住宿和设施基本标准（修正）法令”, Skrine’s Legal Insights
- Co-author, “Meaning of Retirement - Anandraj A/L Vadivellu v Iskandar Investment Bhd  MLJU 551”, Skrine’s Legal Insights
- Co-author, “聘请外籍专业人士的新要求”, Skrine’s Legal Insights
- Co-speaker, “How Can Employers and Construction Industry Players Survive the Impact of COVID-19?”, Skrine’s webinar, 15 April 2020