Beatrice graduated from University of Malaya with a LLB (Hons) degree in 2018 and was admitted to practice as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in August 2019.
She is an associate in the Intellectual Property and TMT practice, with a focus on data protection and TMT. She is also a member of the firm’s China Desk Group.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2019)
- LL.B (Hons), University of Malaya (2018)
Key Practice Areas
Privacy and Data Protection
Technology, Media and Telecommunications
Entertainment, Gaming and Media
Regularly assists in advising on issues related to media and entertainment, such as content and advertising related issues on OTT streaming services.
Regularly assists in advising clients on online gaming and gambling, as well as commercial promotions and contests.
Regularly assists in advising local and multinational companies in respect of data protection issues, which include reviewing and drafting the necessary documentations such as privacy policies, data processor and data transfer agreements, as well as reviewing clients’ data protection practices.
Co-author, “Malaysia: Data Protection Compliance during COVID-19 Movement Control Period” – Data Guidance.
Regularly assists in advising multinational companies in respect of various technology and telecommunications regulatory matters concerning satellite communications, cloud services, Internet of Things (IoT) and over-the-top (OTT) services. Some notable examples include:
- Assisted in advising an American satellite communications company pertaining to its proposed Mobile Satellite Service (MSS), to be offered in various jurisdictions in Asia, including Malaysia. The work included advising the client on regulatory issues surrounding securing landing rights for its Big Low Earth Orbit MSS which spanned across topics such as telecommunications licensing, frequency and spectrum licensing among others.
- Assisted in advising a prominent social media platform on their intended set up of their data centre in Malaysia for the provision of various cloud services into Malaysia which included advising on telecommunications licensing issues in respect of leasing dark fibre and operating the same to support a range of over 80 types of cloud-based services including video on demand (VOD) products, gateway, VPN and SSL certificate services.
- Assisted in advising a client (one of the world's leading companies in the material handling equipment, warehousing and material flow engineering sectors) in respect of telecommunication regulatory requirements in relation to IoT (which includes telecommunication licensing requirements, spectrum, data/cybersecurity requirements in relation to the use of IoT, etc).
- Assisted clients in applying for a licence from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).