ELEVATE: Boot Camp for Mid-Tier Companies
15 November 2021
Bursa Malaysia Berhad (“Bursa Malaysia
”) issued a media release
on 11 November 2021 announcing that it will collaborate with Capital Markets Malaysia (“CMM
”), the promotional arm of the Securities Commission Malaysia, to engage and work with mid-tier companies (“MTCs
”) that are seeking to undertake initial public offerings in the coming 24 months.
According to the media release, the collaboration will be effected through ELEVATE, a 12-month executive leadership programme launched by CMM in July 2020 which, among others, will:
- offer guidance on business models, strategies and funding structures that facilitate successful funding through the Malaysian equity market;
- emphasise entrepreneurial mentorship and coaching on investor engagement; and
- provide participants with a platform to pitch to sophisticated investors and Malaysian-registered private equity and venture capital companies.
As part of the ELEVATE programme, Bursa Malaysia will:
- conduct on-boarding sessions;
- conduct capacity development workshops; and
- provide pre-consultation sessions for participants that seek listing as a fundraising strategy.
This alert contains general information only. It does not constitute legal advice nor an expression of legal opinion and should not be relied upon as such. For further information, kindly contact email@example.com.
According to Zalina Shamsudin, General Manager of CMM, “The joint effort with Bursa Malaysia aims to support the growth of MTCs by preparing them for fundraising through the capital market. It will equip founders with the essential tools to professionalise their businesses and become investment-ready, which will in turn create a pipeline of companies primed for funding through the public market
Azhar Zabidi, Director of Securities Markets at Bursa Malaysia, added that “Companies will also learn about the governance requirements of a public entity during the workshops, something that has become a key investor requirement today
The full text of Bursa Malaysia’s media release can be accessed here
The collaboration between CMM and Bursa Malaysia through ELEVATE is to be welcomed. Not only will it increase the pipeline of new companies to be admitted to the local bourse, but more importantly, it is hoped that the programme will inspire the promoters and owners of these MTCs to enhance the qualitative aspects of their business, such as management and corporate governance, and thereby increase the number of well-managed companies listed on Bursa Malaysia.
Alert by Tiw Joe Yee (Associate) of the Corporate Practice of Skrine.