Covid-19: Immigration Update
05 May 2020
In line with Malaysia’s Prime Minister’s announcement on 1 May 2020, the Immigration Department will resume its operations in stages. The Security and Passport Division has resumed its operations on 4 May 2020 at the Immigration Headquarters and Immigration main office in selected states; the Expatriate Services Division, Visa, Pass and Permit Division and the Foreign Workers Division will resume its operations on 6 May 2020 at the Immigration Headquarters and all other remaining services will resume operations on 13 May 2020 at all immigration offices through Malaysia.
The Immigration Department has also issued a general statement dated 2 May 2020
addressing, amongst others, as follows:
- All foreign nationals who have overstayed from 1 January 2020 until 14 days after the end of the Movement Control Order (“MCO”) can leave Malaysia without being blacklisted or issued compound;
- All pass facilitation for foreign nationals whose pass has expired on or after 1 February 2020 can be done at any immigration office within 30 working days from the end of the MCO period;
- All appointments for immigration counter services (except Visa, Pass and Permit Division and Expatriate Division) have to be done through the online system at www.sto.imi.gov.my which can be accessed starting 8 May 2020. No appointments are needed for transactions at the Security and Passport Division;
- All immigration counter services at UTCs nationwide will resume operations after the MCO period ends.
For Expatriate Services Division, company and Residence Pass -Talent (“RP-T”) holders are required to apply for MyHelp Online Appointment before proceeding with any passport/payment submissions and endorsement processes at the Expatriate Services Division, Immigration office at Putrajaya or MYXpats Centre. Company and RP-T holders will be able to apply for MyHelp Online Appointment through the system on the following dates:
- Registered company in ESD Online via esd.imi.gov.my on Monday, 4 May 2020 (6.00am)
- Residence Pass-Talent (RP-T) via rpt.talentcorp.com.my on Wednesday, 6 May 2020 (6.00am)
If you have any queries, please contact:-
Foo Siew Li
Sara Lau Der Yin
Tan Su Ning
For further updates and guidance on COVID-19 related legal issues, click here.