Proposed Amendments to the Civil Law Act 1956
14 March 2019
The Civil Law (Amendment) Bill 2018 is being tabled before the Dewan Rakyat and the Dewan Negara during the current meeting of the Malaysian Parliament from 11 March 2019 to 9 May 2019.
The following amendments will be made to the Civil Law Act 1956 if the Bill is passed and becomes law–
- the categories of persons who can claim damages for loss of dependency will be expanded to include any person with disabilities under the care of the deceased;
- the age limit for the purposes of assessing the loss of earnings in claims for damages for loss of dependency and for personal injury will be extended from 55 to 60;
- the upper limit of the multiplier for assessing the loss of future earnings in claims for damages for loss of dependency and for personal injury will be increased from 55 to 60;
- the amount of damages that can be awarded for bereavement will be increased from RM10,000 to RM30,000; and
- the categories of persons entitled to claim damages for bereavement will be expanded to include any child and parents of the deceased.