Covid-19 Outbreak: Updates for Maritime Industry
27 March 2020
- The MCO has been extended until 14 April 2020.
- The Marine Department of Malaysia has issued Malaysian Shipping Notice dated 26 March 2020 (MSN 03/2020), which states that in view of the extension of the MCO and the increasing difficulty for attendance of statutory surveys and audits, the extension of ship’s statutory certificates for all Malaysian-flagged vessels may be granted. Further details are contained in Annex V which is to be read as an additional annexure to MSN 02/2020, which is now applicable until 14 April 2020.
- The Minister of Transport also issued a press release on 26 March 2020 regarding measures to ensure continued supply of essential goods during the MCO, the key points of which are as follows:-
- Given that currently Port Klang, Port of Penang, and Johor Port in Pasir Gudang have reached nearly 100% of their capacities to hold goods, thus impeding the supply and transportation of essential goods, the Minister of Transport has proceeded to instruct that the affected ports be given special exemption to clear non-essential goods to warehouses outside the port area temporarily so they can continue to release essential goods promptly and immediately.
- The said ports are to develop and implement action plans to immediately expedite the movement of goods currently congesting the warehouses in the port areas.
- Freight forwarders and haulier companies will be allowed to move their goods out of the ports for 24 hours a day between 27 March 2020 and 29 March 2020. The Royal Malaysian Police will ensure that their vehicles will be allowed to move between 27 March 2020 and 29 March 2020 for the purpose of transporting goods to their intended destinations without restriction.
- All export activities will be allowed to continue.
The Skrine Maritime and Shipping Practice Group will continue to keep you updated on the latest developments.
Should you have any queries, please contact one of the lawyers in our Maritime and Shipping Practice Group listed below:
Siva Kumar Kanagasabai
Trishelea Ann Sandosam
Fariz Abdul Aziz
Tan Shi Wen