||Jillian Chia Yan Ping
Partner, Intellectual Property Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 882
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Jillian Chia graduated from the University of Nottingham in 2005 and was called to the English bar (Lincoln’s Inn) in 2006. Upon returning to Malaysia, she commenced her pupillage in the Intellectual Property division at Skrine.
She was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2007. Having completed her pupillage at Skrine, she joined as an associate in October 2007 and was made a Partner in January 2014.
Her area of expertise includes advising on data protection laws, in particular regulatory and compliance issues relating to the Personal Data Protection Act 2010.
Her other areas of practice include advising on and drafting of contracts in relation to information technology and e-commerce matters as well as advising on online gaming and gambling. She also handles registration of industrial designs and general advisory work relating to intellectual property rights.
Jillian was listed in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2013 as “an experienced IT and telecoms lawyer”.
Areas of Practice
Information Technology, Telecommunications, Intellectual Property, Personal Data Protection
Treasurer of the Licensing Executives Society Malaysia (LESM)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Barrister at Law, Lincoln’s Inn, London
- LLB (Hons) University of Nottingham
- Trade Mark Agent
Personal Data Protection
- Advising a national telecommunications company in relation to various issues relating to the compliance in view of the upcoming implementation of the Personal Data Protection Act 2010. This advice included recommended steps as well as advice on the obligations required to be complied with.
- Advising a leading software development company, Intuit Inc. in respect of data protection issues in relation arising out of the deployment of software for banks and financial institutions, as well as advising Intuit Inc. on data protection issues arising out of providing online books in a cloud computing environment. This included advice on notice and consent provisions as well as requirements in relation to transfer of data out of the country.
- Advising a prominent international insurance institution, AIG in relation to data protection issues arising out of the use and implementation of encryption and monitoring software.
- Advising a well-known social networking provider, Facebook in respect of privacy and data protection issues such as storage of personal data, transfer of personal data, retention periods etc.
- Advising leading healthcare product brand, Johnson & Johnson in relation to data protection issues in relation to the provision of the healthcare website provided for its employees. Advising on the required notice and consent provisions.
- Advising on specific governmental regulations in relation to privacy and data protection across various industries including the telecommunications, healthcare and banking industries.
- Acted for a consulting company in relation to a systems integration and operations agreement with the Malaysian government for the implementation of a nationwide automated traffic enforcement system. Assisted reviewing, drafting and advising the consulting company in respect of the sub-contracts as well as the prime contract with the government.
- Acted for a leading international life insurance company in reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to a managed contact centre services agreement which involved outsourcing of call centre management services to a leading IT service provider in Malaysia.
- Assisted in acting for a prominent Islamic insurance operator in Malaysia in reviewing, drafting and advising in relation to an IT infrastructure operations management services agreement with a leading IT service provider. This transaction involved the outsourcing of the management of the insurance operator’s IT systems.
- Assisted in reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations on behalf of an Indonesian bank in relation to a system licence and services agreement with a leading local IT service provider.
- Assisted in acting for Bursa Malaysia (The Malaysian Stock Exchange) in reviewing, drafting and advising in the (a) Licence and Project Implementation Agreement for the Electronic Trading Platform; and (b) ETP System Maintenance Agreement with Korea Exchange, a exchange holding company established by the Securities and Futures Exchange Law of Korea. In this transaction, Bursa Malaysia intended to develop new infrastructure with the capacity and capability to accommodate the trading of various products in the bond market in Malaysia and therefore the arrangement involved the licensing of software and implementation of a new technology system by the Korea Exchange for Bursa Malaysia.
- Provided ongoing advice in respect of the launch of a new, cutting edge telecommunications device in Malaysia. Advice provided was in relation to a host of issues ranging from certification rules and procedures, competition and privacy issues, consumer protection issues, telecommunications law and import export regulations to review of the packaging, labeling, user guidelines and service level agreements of a novel, cutting edge communications device.
- Acted for a prominent broadband service provider in Malaysia in reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to a collaboration arrangement with a leading television, interactive and multimedia service provider to provide Internet Protocol television (IPTV) and broadband access services as part of a bundled service.
- Acted for a leading Malaysian telecommunications provider in researching, reviewing, drafting, advising and conducting negotiations in relation to various IT and telecommunications agreements as part of a legal outsourcing arrangement.
- Assisted in researching, reviewing, drafting and advising on behalf of a leading mobile network service provider in Malaysia in relation to a network access and services agreement.
- General advisory work on trademarks, copyright, design, patent and trade secrets
- Advising on and drafting of contracts in intellectual property related areas e.g licensing, franchising, distributorships and contract manufacturing
- Drafting and negotiations of Internet-based and web-site agreements such as linking agreements, web-hosting agreements, banner advertisement agreements, co-branding agreements, privacy statements, etc.
- Drafting of online contracts such as terms and conditions of use of web-sites, e-commerce and Internet banking.
- General advisory work in relation to cyberlaws, e-commerce, data protection and all Internet related activities including Internet banking and on-line trading.
- Advisory work relating to compliance and/or application for licences under the Communications and Multimedia Act, 1998.
- Advising on matters relating to the Consumer Protection Act 1999 and product liability issues
Authored/Co-authored the following articles/chapters:
- Co-authored the Malaysian chapter of the ABA and Bloomberg BNA treatise on “Workplace Data: Law & Litigation”, with Siva Kumar Kanagasabai.
- “Update on the Personal Data Protection Act 2010- Public Consultation paper on the Class of Data Users” in a publication entitled Asia-Pacific News, Computer Law and Security Report (2013).
- “Up in the Clouds” in a publication entitled “Legal Insights”, 2011 published by Skrine.
- A Malaysian chapter in the in a publication entitled “Getting the Deal Through- E-Commerce 2010”, 2010 published by Law Business Research Limited, with Charmayne Ong.
- “Personal Data Protection Act 2010”, in a publication entitled Asia-Pacific News, Computer Law and Security Report (2010).
- “Strategic Trade Act 2010”, in a publication entitled Asia-Pacific News, Computer Law and Security Report (2010).
- A Malaysian chapter forming part of an outsourcing comparative analysis in the publication entitled “E-Commerce, Technology and Communication”, published by Sweet & Maxwell's Journal in its 2010 summer edition.
- A Malaysian chapter on in the publication entitled “International Franchising”, published by the Centre for International Legal Studies in 2010, with Leela Baskaran.
- “New Laws to Protect Personal Data” in a publication entitled “Legal Insights”, 2010 published by Skrine.
- Personal Data Protection Bill 2009, in a publication entitled “Data Protection Law & Policy” published by Data Protection Law & Policy in its June 2010 newsletter, with Charmayne Ong
- “Open Source Licensing” in a publication entitled “Legal Insights”, 2009 published by Skrine.
- “Electronic Commerce Act 2006” in a publication entitled “Legal Insights”, 2007 published by Skrine.
- Personal Data Protection and the Cloud – Talk presented at the FMM ICT Conference 2012
- Personal Data Protection Act 2010 – Seminar presented at the Affin Boustead Talk Series 2011.
- Cloud of Doubt- The Practical and Legal Concerns – Talk presented at the Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA)’s special seminar on cloud computing 2011.
- Personal Data Protection Act 2010, Keeping Personal Data Personal – Seminar presented at the 2010 annual International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) conference
The Legal Insights 1/2014, March 2014 is now available. To access the newsletter, please click here.
Steps to deactivate cookies on internet browsers