Partner, Corporate Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 838
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Faizah Jamaludin is a partner in Skrine’s corporate division and heads both its Competition and Oil & Gas Practice Groups.
Faizah has represented international oil companies in the structuring, documentation and negotiation of oil and gas transactions including PSCs, RSCs, service contracts, farm-ins, acquisitions and oil services companies in the supply of upstream goods & services to the Malaysian oil & gas industry. She is also experienced in energy related infrastructure projects and in M & As of oil & gas businesses. The International Financial Law Review 2013 remarked Faizah as “excellent and incredibly responsive to her clients' needs," and "has an in-depth knowledge of the oil and gas industry in Malaysia and is very familiar with Petronas. She can work out the important issues in a deal, which is very important to a client."
Faizah has an active competition law practice. She was named by PLC Which Lawyer? and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2013 as a leading competition lawyer in Malaysia. She had served on the Malaysian government Ministry’s working group on the drafting of the Malaysian competition policy and law. Faizah and her team have advised various companies on Malaysia’s competition laws and are currently representing 2 industries in block exemption applications to the Malaysian Competition Commission.
Faizah holds an LL.M from the University of Southampton and is a Barrister of the Inner Temple, London. She was called to the English and Malaysian Bars. She is currently the Vice President of the Malaysian Inner Temple Alumni and an Executive Committee member of AIPN’s Asia Regional Chapter. Before joining Skrine, Faizah was legal counsel with ExxonMobil in Malaysia for 8 years.
Areas of Practice
- Oil & Gas, Energy, Competition Law, Shipping, Mergers & Acquisitions, Government Procurement & Contracting, Healthcare
- Vice-President, Malaysia Inner Temple Alumni Association
- Executive Committee Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators’ (AIPN) Asia Chapter
- Domestic Trade Council member, Malaysian International Chamber of Commerce (MICCI)
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya
- Barrister-At-Law Inner Temple, London
- LL.M, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
- LL.B (Hons), Brunel University, United Kingdom
- Acted for Halliburton Energy Services for their OSC for the Bayan Field, offshore Malaysia.
- Acted as lead counsel for Petronas Dagangan Berhad it its acquisition of lubricant and LPG businesses in the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Acted for Mubadala Petroleum, Pexco, BHP Billiton, RH Petrogas in their PSCs and JOAs with Petronas and Petronas Carigali, offshore, Malaysia.
- Acted for Mitsubishi Corporation in their farm-in of oil & gas blocks offshore Malaysia.
- Acted for ROC Oil for their RSC for the Balai Cluster fields, offshore Malaysia.
- Acted for Coastal Energy for their JOA with Petra Energy for the RSC for the Kapal, Banang and Meranti fields, offshore Malaysia.
- Advised EnQuest PLC in its acquisition of Nio Sabah Petroluem.
- Acted for BP PLC in its disposal of its Malaysian PTA plant to India's Reliance Global Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Advised consultant engaged by Johor Petroleum Development Corporation to carry out the design of the governance framework of the Pengerang Integrated Petrolum complex (“PIPC”).
- Acted for a number of international oil services companies in the setting-up of their Malaysian operations and Petronas licensing.
- Acted for banks and ship owners in ship financing transactions and the sale and purchase of ships and offshore support vessels.
- Acted for receivers in the foreclosure and sale of vessels.
Authored the following :
- Contributing author: Oil & Gas Decommissioning: Law, Policy and Comparative Practice, publisher: Global Law and Business, UK, 1stEdition. March 2013
- Arresting the Decline in Domestic Oil & Gas Production, The Business Advocate, MICCI, Q1/2013
- Contributing author: Chapter on Malaysia’s Laws and Regulation for the Oil Industry, Getting the Deal Through: Oil Regulation 2009 - 2013
- Exemptions under the Competition Act 2010: Legal Insights, September 2012
- Co-author: Another Tiger Rises: The implementation competition law in Malaysia, Competition Law Insight, 10 July 2012
- The Malaysian Competition Act 2010: Changed Or Be Changed” ALB Special Report: Malaysia 2010, June 2010
- No Turning Back Malaysian Competition Act, the EDGE Business and Investment Weekly (17-23 May 2010)
- The Malaysian Biofuel Industry Act 2007, Legal Insights, April 2008.
- Shipping and the Malaysian Oil & Gas Industry, Legal Insights, October 2007
Selected Presentations :
- The Legal Processes of Energy and Resources Work in Malaysia, AMPLA-IBA Resources and Energy Conference, Singapore, 4 July 2013
- Disputes Amongst Companies in the Oil and Gas Sector- Assessing Common Problems, SIAC Oil & Gas Asia Dispute Resolution Conference, Jakarta, 5 June 2013
- Turbulence or Tempest: Navigating the Malaysian Competition Act 2010, MICPA-Bursa Malaysia Business Forum 2012, Kuala Lumpur, 16 October 2012
- Malaysia’s Competition Act 2010: Ramifications for Trade & Investment, at the 1st National Forum on Competition Act 2010, Kuala Lumpur, 28 March 2011.
- The Malaysian Competition Act 2010: What It Means to Malaysian Businesses? Malaysian Law Conference 2010, Kuala Lumpur, 29-31 July 2010.
Moderated the following panel sessions :
- ASEAN-China Guidelines for Co-operation in the South China Sea: Can the Guidelines Effectively Solve the Boundary Disputes in the South China Sea? International Malaysia Law Conference 2012, 27 September 2012.
- Production Sharing Contracts in the Malaysian Petroleum Industry: A PETRONAS Perspective, International Malaysia Law Conference 2012, 27 September 2012.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013
6 partners are listed as Leading Lawyers in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013.
>> READ MORE
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
13 partners are ranked as Chambers Leading Lawyers 2013.
>> READ MORE
ALB 2012 Corporate M&A Rankings
Skrine's Corporate & M&A Practice Group was ranked in Tier 1 by the Asian Legal Business (ALB) Magazine's 2012, Corporate M&A Rankings (Malaysia).
For more information on the rankings, please click here.
Who's Who Legal 2012
We are pleased to announce that 10 of our lawyers have been listed as leading individuals in the Who's Who Legal – The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012.
>> READ MORE
[ Archives ]