||Teh Hong Koon / 鄭芳君
Partner, Intellectual Property Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 851
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Teh Hong Koon was admitted as a Barrister of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn in Michaelmas 1997 and as an advocate-solicitor of the Malaysian Bar in 1998. She commenced her legal practice in Penang as a litigator and subsequently dabbing her hands in conveyancing works. In 2000, she joined SKRINE’s Intellectual Property practice, specialized in IP litigation.
Currently, she specializes in the prosecution and management of Intellectual Property portfolio; and the development and implementation of Intellectual Property strategies and policies. Her practice areas include copyright, trade mark and patent, industrial designs, integrated circuits, geographical indication, new plant varieties, domain name advisory and disputes, entertainment, franchising and licensing, trade descriptions, product advisory and registration, unfair competition, optical disks, advertising and personal data protection.
She speaks and writes in Chinese and is one of the liaison persons of SKRINE’s China Desk. She takes a great interest in the area of geographical indication and has been actively working towards educating members of the public and trade of its significance.
She serves as a treasurer and National Reporter of the Malaysian Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI), and is a member of the Asian Patent Attorneys Association. She writes regularly on intellectual property laws and her publications include “World Intellectual Property Rights and Remedies- Malaysia” published by Oceana, New York and “Malaysian Intellectual Property – Dawning of a New Age” published in the Digital Guide 2010 on executiveview.com and various articles such as “Zen and the Art of IP Protection”, “Celebrating PCT”, “Kobe Beef, Cuban Cigar and Sabah Tea” and “Highlights the Recent developments in Malaysian Intellectual Property Laws” and practical guide on “How to Protection your Copyright” published in Skrine newsletter-Legal Insights.
Areas of Practice
Copyright Advisory, Copyright Disputes, Designs Advisory, Entertainment, Franchising & Licensing, Patents Advisory, Patents Disputes, Trademarks Advisory, Trademarks Disputes, Trade Descriptions, Trade Secrets/Confidential Information.
English, Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese, Hokkein, Cantonese
Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Barrister-at-Law, Lincolns Inn, London
LLB (Hons) University of East London
LLM, University of Malaya
- A wide range review of IP policies including IP polices of multinational companies having local business interests and local branch of foreign universities.
- Advising on the laws, regulations and codes governing advertising and marketing for various industries including pharmaceutical, cosmetics and automotive industries.
- Devising strategies for local inventors and Malaysia-based foreign inventors on protection and exploitation of their IP worldwide, and advising them on sourcing of funds; working with IP foreign experts in implementation thereof.
- Advising, managing and coordinating multi-jurisdictional protection of IP portfolio for companies.
- Advising foreign companies on privacy law.
- Drafting the personal data protection policy and form for a well-known foreign jeweler.
- Advising and assisting a leader in the gaming industry to secure protection of their copyright worldwide and to assist in and coordinate the transfer of ownership thereof.
- Advising distributors of optical disks on compliance and licensing issues.
- Acting for the government on drafting of agreements for the protection of IP relating to a national broadband campaign.
- Presented in Mandarin “The Worth of the Ang-Hair Durians” at the “Seminar on Empowering SMEs through IP” organized by the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia.
- Co-presented “Disregarding Intellectual Property at Your Own Peril” at the “ICC- Brand and Innovation Seminar ICC Malaysia” organized by the International Chambers of Commerce, Malaysia.
- Presented “The protection of sports events and associated commercial activities through Trade Marks and other IPR” at the “AIPPI Seminar 2010” organized by the Malaysian Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI).
- Presented “Employee’s IP” to the Malaysian Employers Federation, Northern Region.
- Presented “Copyright- Dos and Donts” to colleague students at a holiday camp.
- Conducted a series of workshops on “Trade Marks- creation, selection, protection” to clients.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013
6 partners are listed as Leading Lawyers in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013.
>> READ MORE
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
13 partners are ranked as Chambers Leading Lawyers 2013.
>> READ MORE
ALB 2012 Corporate M&A Rankings
Skrine's Corporate & M&A Practice Group was ranked in Tier 1 by the Asian Legal Business (ALB) Magazine's 2012, Corporate M&A Rankings (Malaysia).
For more information on the rankings, please click here.
Who's Who Legal 2012
We are pleased to announce that 10 of our lawyers have been listed as leading individuals in the Who's Who Legal – The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012.
>> READ MORE
[ Archives ]