Partner, Dispute Resolution Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 Ext.829
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Maniam Kuppusamy graduated from University Sains Malaysia with a Bachelor of Arts in 1979 before switching career paths to pursue law and went on to study at University of London, graduating in 1988. He started legal practice in 1991 and joined Skrine in 1995, where he became a partner in 2000.
Prior to joining legal practice, Maniam worked in the Customs Department and was involved in the setting up of the Civil Litigation Unit in the Customs Department between 1988 – 1989. He is proficient in the following areas of Customs Law – Import/Export, Tariffs Classification, WTO Valuation, Sales tax, Service Tax and Excise Tax, and inter alia, advises several local and multinational companies on issues relating to these Customs Laws.
Areas of Practice
Banking, Bankruptcy/Insolvency, Corporate & Commercial Disputes, Defamation, Directors & Officers Liability, Landlord & Tenant Dispute, Medical Negligence, Professional Liability/Negligence, Public and Administrative Law, Sale and Purchase Dispute, Security & Shares, Tax Litigation, Tort, Wills/Probate Disputes.
Panel member of Investigating Tribunal, Advocates & Solicitor’s Disciplinary Board under the Legal Profession Act
Member of the International Chamber of Commerce Malaysia Transport & Logistics Committee
GST Committee Member of KL Bar
Member of Lawasia 2010/2011
Advocate & Solicitor,
High Court of Malaya
Certificate of Legal Practice, Malaysia
LLB (Hons) University of London
English and Malay
Engagements include :-
- Nike Sales Malaysia Sdn Bhd v Jabatan Kastam Diraja Malaysia & 2 Ors
- on the issue of customs duties & royalties
- Colgate Palmolive Marketing Sdn Bhd v Ketua Pengarah Kastam
- on the issue of customs duties & royaltie
- Authored the following articles for Skrine’s Legal Insights
- “Personal Liability for Corporate Acts and Omissions under the Customs Law” Issue 3/2004
- “Case commentary on David Kuok Khoon Hin v Rose Kuok Kok Hiang (2004) 3 CLJ 73” Issue 3/2004
- Presented “Malaysian Customs Law in ASEAN at the ASEAN Business Law Programme” held at the University of Phillippines’ Law Centre, September 1997.