||Ezane Chong Ing Tze
Partner, Dispute Resolution Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 857
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Ezane Chong Ing Tze graduated from the University of Leeds in 1999 and was called to Bar of England and Wales by the Inner Temple in 2000. She commenced practice with Skrine after her call to the Malaysian Bar in 2001 and was made a partner of the firm in 2010.
Ezane is a litigator in the firm’s Dispute Resolution Division. Her areas of practice include securities litigation where she represents stock-broking firms in suits involving losses resulting from share market trading, market manipulation and breaches of the Securities Industries Act, commercial and civil litigation and banking. One of her main clients is a national statutory body formed to absorb and recoup the losses incurred during the Asian financial crisis in 1997. She also represents and advises an international automobile company and its affiliates on a variety of matters ranging from dealership disputes to importation of vehicles to motor product liability. Her practice in recent years has extended to international arbitration. Ezane also handles all areas of family law including divorces, child custody and maintenance applications, spousal support, property distribution, pre-nuptial and settlement agreements and adoption. Some of the cases which she has been involved in have been reported in the Malaysian law journals.
Recently, Ezane was trained and selected as an advocacy trainer by the Advocacy Training Council of England and Wales and teaches advocacy to pupils and young lawyers.
Areas of Practice
Commercial and Civil Litigation, Securities Litigation, Family Law, Banking, Public and Administrative Law.
Assistant Honorary Secretary, Malaysia Inner Temple Alumni Association
Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
Barrister-at-Law, Inner Temple, London
LLB (Hons), University of Leeds, United Kingdom
Commercial and Civil Litigation
- Represented an international car manufacturer and its distributor in Malaysia in a multi-million dollar case involving the non-renewal of their Malaysian importer’s import agreements and dealer agreement. The case involved applying for a mandatory injunction to compel the importer to complete the importation process of over 800 performance and luxury vehicles and motorcycles which were pending customs clearance at the port and vehicle distribution centre in Port Klang as well as an application for an attachment order to secure properties before judgment.
- Defended a national statutory body, its employees and agents in a suit brought against them (Marina Bte Mohd Yusoff v Duar Tuan Kiat (Receiver & Manager) and 7 others  1 CLJ 169) for vacant possession and control of a 38-storey building in Kuala Lumpur. The value of the subject matter was over RM200 million and included resisting an application for an interlocutory injunction and Erinford injunction, the interpretation of the provisions of Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad Act 1998 and an analysis of the law of conspiracy, company law, enforcement of securities and agency.
- Appeared as co-counsel for an insurance company before the Federal Court (our apex court) in The Great Eastern Life Assurance Co Ltd v Indra Janardhana Menon  4 CLJ 717 that dealt with a novel point of law pertaining to the interpretation of the statute of limitation.
- Defended a multinational logistics services company and its international affiliates in several cases involving alleged misdelivery and theft of goods shipped. Issues of law involved pertain primarily to the international carriage of goods by air and the Warsaw Convention 1929.
- Represented a national statutory body formed to absorb and recoup the losses incurred during the Asian financial crisis in 1997 in numerous large debt recovery cases, one of which relates to a debt of over RM300 million which dealt with issues on the law of limitation and the application of a novel House of Lords decision on the admissibility of without prejudice communications.
- Acting for owners and occupiers of land in relation to the enforcement of an agreement against them by a company with respect to a compulsory government land acquisition. The issues of law concerned include fraud, misrepresentation, company law (lifting of the corporate veil), contract law and breaches of the Valuers, Appraisers and Estate Agents Act 1981 and the Rules made thereunder.
- Acted for a multi-national oil and gas company in the recovery of debts owed to it.
Securities litigation / Public and Administrative Law
- Represented and advised numerous stock-broking companies and securities regulatory bodies to recover losses resulting from share market trading, market manipulation and breaches of the Securities Industry Act 1983 including the prosecution of cases to recover losses amounting to hundreds of millions where trading was done via nominees. These suits generally involve multiple parties and require extensive evidence gathering and analysis of the law of agency, contract, companies and securities.
- Acted for Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad in resisting an action by a public listed company in relation to the suspension of that company’s securities on the MESDAQ market.
- Acted for Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad to defend an application by a public listed company for judicial review of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad’s decision to remove the securities of that company from the Official List.
- Advised and defended a multi national electronics devices conglomerate in an action for alleged defects in a product claimed to have caused the death of a consumer.
- Represented a multi-national car distributor in various actions pertaining to alleged defects in vehicles purchased.
Banking and Finance
- Acting for major banks in numerous debt recovery actions that involving civil, foreclosure, execution, bankruptcy and winding-up proceedings.
- Acted as part of a team of Skrine lawyers in a legal due diligence exercise pertaining to the acquisition of shares in a local bank by a foreign bank.
- Acting for a technology development company set up by the government of Malaysia in a dispute with its shareholders and co-investors involving its multi-million dollar investments in a Swiss based company.
- Advised and represented clients in various contested and uncontested divorce proceedings, petitions for annulment and judicial separation, child custody and maintenance applications and disputes, spousal support, property disputes, drafting of prenuptial, postnuptial and settlement agreements and adoption.
- Have worked with several lawyers from abroad including the United Kingdom, United States of America, Singapore and Indonesia on divorces and family disputes with an international aspect. Made a deposition in 2007 in a divorce suit filed in the USA involving a citizen from East Malaysia vide video-conferencing with attorneys from Boston and Maine, USA, on matters relating to the national language.
- Also advise clients on matters of a personal nature including procedures for the solemnisation of marriages between foreign nationals in Malaysia, applications to change information on one’s identification documents (e.g. change of name or gender on identity card), drafting of simple wills.
- Advises the German Embassy in Malaysia on matters pertaining to family law involving their citizens.
Authored the following articles/case commentaries:
- “Rights Of Biological Parents vs Adoptive Parents”: Legal Insights Issue 3/2011, September 2011.
- “UK Supreme Court Upholds Prenuptial Agreement”: Legal Insights Issue 4/2010, December 2010.
- “Prenuptial Agreements” : Legal Insights Issue 1/2008, March 2008.
- “The Great Eastern Life Assurance Co. Ltd. v. Indra Janardhana Menon  4 CLJ 717, Federal Court Reaffirms Existing Law of Limitations for Actions Founded on Contract”: Legal Insights Issue 1/2006, March 2006.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013
6 partners are listed as Leading Lawyers in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013.
>> READ MORE
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
13 partners are ranked as Chambers Leading Lawyers 2013.
>> READ MORE
ALB 2012 Corporate M&A Rankings
Skrine's Corporate & M&A Practice Group was ranked in Tier 1 by the Asian Legal Business (ALB) Magazine's 2012, Corporate M&A Rankings (Malaysia).
For more information on the rankings, please click here.
Who's Who Legal 2012
We are pleased to announce that 10 of our lawyers have been listed as leading individuals in the Who's Who Legal – The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012.
>> READ MORE
[ Archives ]