||Ezane Chong Ing Tze
Partner, Dispute Resolution Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 857
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Ezane is currently a Partner in the Dispute Resolution Department of SKRINE.
Her main area of expertise is in civil and commercial disputes. A litigator with considerable experience in court and recently, in international and domestic arbitration, she has represented clients in a variety of industries, at all levels of the judicial process. Some of the cases which Ezane has been involved in have been reported in the Malaysian law journals.
Ezane also heads the firm's Family Practice Group and handles all areas of family law.
Ezane has been trained by the Advocacy Training Council of England and Wales and selected as an advocacy trainer and teaches advocacy to pupils and young lawyers.
Ezane recently won an International Law Office Client Choice Award 2015 for Litigation, Malaysia for the excellent client care she provides and the quality of her work. Client feedback on Ezane can be found at:
Areas of Practice
Commercial and Civil Litigation, Securities Litigation, Family Law
Honorary Secretary, Malaysia Inner Temple Alumni Association
Committee Member, Bar Council Family law Committee, Rules Sub-Committee, a committee set-up to review the existing Divorce and Matrimonial Proceedings Rules 1980
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Barrister-at-Law, Inner Temple, London
- LLB (Hons), University of Leeds, United Kingdom
Commercial and Civil Litigation
- Represented an international luxury car manufacturer and its distributor in Malaysia in a multi-million dollar case involving the non-renewal of their Malaysian importer's import agreements and dealer agreement. The case involved applying for a mandatory injunction to compel the importer to complete the importation process of over 800 performance and luxury vehicles which were pending customs clearance as well as an application for an attachment order before judgment to secure properties.
- Defended a national statutory body in a suit brought against them (Marina Bte Mohd Yusoff v Duar Tuan Kiat (Receiver & Manager) and 7 others  1 CLJ 169) for vacant possession and control of a 38-storey building in Kuala Lumpur. The value of the subject matter was over RM200 million and included resisting an application for an interlocutory injunction and Erinford injunction, the interpretation of the provisions of Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad Act 1998 and an analysis of the law of conspiracy, company law, enforcement of securities and agency.
- Appeared as co-counsel for an insurance company before the Federal Court (Malaysia's apex court) in The Great Eastern Life Assurance Co Ltd v Indra Janardhana Menon  4 CLJ 717 that dealt with a novel point of law pertaining to the interpretation of the statute of limitation for breach of contract.
- Defended a multinational logistics services company and its international affiliates in several cases involving alleged misdelivery and theft of goods shipped. Issues of law involved pertain primarily to the international carriage of goods by air and the Warsaw Convention 1929.
- Represented a national statutory body formed to absorb and recoup the losses incurred during the Asian financial crisis in 1997 in numerous large debt recovery cases, one of which relates to a debt of over RM300 million which dealt with issues on the law of limitation and the application of a novel House of Lords decision on the admissibility of without prejudice communications.
- Acted for owners and occupiers of land in relation to the enforcement of a contract against them by a company with respect to a compulsory Government land acquisition. The issues of law concerned include fraud, misrepresentation, company law (lifting of the corporate veil), contract law and breaches of the Valuers, Appraisers and Estate Agents Act 1981 and the Rules made thereunder.
- Acted for a multi-national oil and gas company in the recovery of debts owed to it.
Securities litigation / Public and Administrative Law
- Represented and advised numerous stock-broking companies and securities regulatory bodies to recover losses resulting from share market trading, market manipulation and breaches of the applicable securities law in force including the prosecution of cases to recover losses amounting to hundreds of millions where trading was done via nominees. These suits generally involve multiple parties and require extensive evidence gathering and analysis of the law of agency, contract, companies and securities.
- Represented multi-national vehicle manufacturers, distributors, dealers and financiers in various actions pertaining to alleged defects in vehicles supplied.
- Advised and defended a multi-national electronics devices conglomerate in an action for alleged defects in a product claimed to have caused the death of a consumer.
Banking and Finance
- Acted for major banks in numerous debt recovery actions involving civil, foreclosure, execution, bankruptcy and winding-up proceedings.
- Acted for a technology development company set up by the Government of Malaysia in a dispute with its shareholders involving its multi-million dollar investments in a Swiss based company.
- Advising and defending an Australian based company against a threatened suit by a Singaporean incorporated company, with respect to the termination of a joint venture in Malaysia.
- Defending a large pharmaceutical manufacturer and exporter against a suit brought against it by one of its customers, a supplier of pharmaceutical products to the Government of Malaysia.
- Advised and represented clients in various contested and uncontested divorce proceedings, petitions for annulment and judicial separation, applications for child custody, access and child maintenance orders and injunctions, spousal support, property disputes, drafting of prenuptial, postnuptial and settlement agreements and adoptions of children/step-children.
- Have worked with several lawyers from abroad including the United Kingdom, Scotland, United States of America, Singapore and Indonesia on divorces and family matters with an international aspect. Made a deposition in 2007 in a divorce suit filed in the USA involving a citizen from East Malaysia vide video-conferencing with attorneys from Boston and Maine, USA, on matters relating to the national language.
- Also advise clients on matters of a personal nature including procedures for the solemnisation of marriages between foreign nationals in Malaysia, marriages of couples below age 18, applications to change information on one's identification documents (e.g. change of name or gender on identity card), drafting of simple wills.
- Advises pro bono, litigants or potential litigants on divorce, custody and maintenance issues, via the Bar Council Legal Aid Centre.
Authored the following articles/case commentaries:
- "Division of Matrimonial Assets": Legal Insights Issue 1/2015, March 2015.
- Contributor to Personal Money, the Edge Weekly (week of 9-15 February 2015) under column "Ask the Experts" on managing inherited wealth.
- "The Final Word": Effectiveness of postnuptial agreements; Legal Insights Issue 3/2014, December 2014.
- "Breaking-Up is Hard to Do": Ways in which couples may seek to dissolve their marriage"; Legal Insights Issue 4/2013, December 2013.
- "Court Adoptions in West Malaysia": Legal Insights Issue 3/2013, September 2013.
- "Rights of Biological Parents vs Adoptive Parents": Legal Insights Issue 3/2011, September 2011.
- "UK Supreme Court Upholds Prenuptial Agreement": Legal Insights Issue 4/2010, December 2010.
- "Prenuptial Agreements": Legal Insights Issue 1/2008, March 2008.
- "The Great Eastern Life Assurance Co. Ltd. v. Indra Janardhana Menon  4 CLJ 717, Federal Court Reaffirms Existing Law of Limitations for Actions Founded on Contract": Legal Insights Issue 1/2006, March 2006.
- By "Personal Money" April 2013 Issue, on how women can protect themselves financially in the event of divorce.
Legal Insights 1/2015, March 2015 is now available. To access the newsletter, please click here.
Managing Intellectual Properties Global Awards
Malaysian Intellectual Property Firm of the Year 2015
The Firm has been named the Malaysian Intellectual Property Firm of the Year 2015 in the Managing Intellectual Properties (Managing IP) Global Awards. The Firm has won this Award multiple times, including winning this Award in 2014.
Chambers Asia Pacific
Malaysia Law Firm of the Year 2015
SKRINE is pleased to announce that it has been awarded ‘Malaysia Law Firm of the Year 2015’ by Chambers Asia Pacific. This award is particularly meaningful to us as it recognises the work of law firms across the globe and reflects their notable achievements over the past twelve months including outstanding work, impressive strategic growth and excellence in client service. We would like to thank our valued clients for their continuing support and trust in us.
Asian Legal Business (ALB)
Malaysia Law Awards 2015
The Firm clinched three awards at the recent Asian Legal Business (ALB) Malaysia Law Awards 2015 held on 27 March 2015. The Firm was named the KLRCA Arbitration Law Firm of the Year, the Intellectual Property Firm of the Year, and received the M&A Deal of the Year for PT Pertamina Malaysia Eksplorasi Produksi's acquisition of 30 percent of Murphy Oil Corporation's Malaysian oil and gas assets. To read more, please click here.
Steps to deactivate cookies on internet browsers