SKRINE’s International Arbitration Practice Group is recognised as one of the leading practices in Malaysia combining the synergies of more than 30 years experience in the arbitration industry with an in depth participation in the formation and shaping of market practice and international policies.
Our core team of arbitration lawyers have acted in a wide range of corporate and commercial cases in sectoral industries from power, construction, engineering and infrastructure to energy, oil and gas (both upstream and downstream), mining and resources, life sciences and pharmaceuticals, insurance, investment and international trade.
The SKRINE team combines the knowledge of practitioners who are experts in their various niche fields and who have conducted arbitrations involving parties and jurisdictions across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and North America such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, India, China, Tanzania, United Kingdom and Canada.
- Acted for a major Government-Linked Company who was the employer in arbitration proceedings in a dispute against the main contractor concerning the construction of civil and cable works involving more than 220 contracts with an amount in dispute of more than RM100 million.
- Acted for a foreign client who is the main contractor in an ICC Arbitration with the seat of arbitration in Singapore in a dispute concerning the design and construction of a manufacturing facility in India with English law being the governing law of the contract.
- Acted for the main contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning the manufacturing and supply of concrete pre-cast elements for a major government housing project with an amount in dispute of more than RM33 million
- Acted for the main contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning the construction of a major government building project with an amount in dispute of more than RM440 million.
- Acted for a foreign client who is the main contractor in an UNCITRAL arbitration in a dispute concerning a major mixed commercial development project in Kuala Lumpur with an amount in dispute of more than RM950 million.
- Acted for the main contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning the construction of a water treatment plant in East Malaysia based on a modified Public Works Department (PWD) contract with an amount in dispute of more than RM18 million.
- Acted for the employer in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning land reclamation works adopting the FIDIC Conditions of Contract with modifications/amendments with an amount in dispute of more than RM90 million.
- Represented the employer against the main contractor in a luxury condominium project in the heart of the KLCC area with an amount in dispute of more than RM12 million.
- Acted for the main contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning a Coal Fired Power Plant project in Malaysia with an amount in dispute of more than RM12 million.
- Acted for the main contractor in arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning a development project in Kuala Lumpur with an amount in dispute of more than RM10 million.
- Represented the main contractor in relation to disputes with the sub contractor and the employer of a project owned by a company related to the Brunei Royal family with an amount in dispute with the sub contractor of more than RM20 million.
- Acted as co-counsel for the developer in arbitration proceedings involving in a dispute concerning the construction of road works for a housing development.
- Acted as co-counsel for the joint-venture developer in an arbitration proceeding in a dispute concerning the construction of earthworks for a luxury condominium development in Penang with an amount in dispute of more than RM25 million.
- Acted in arbitration proceeding in a dispute arising from a contract for supply and delivery of approximately 35,000 m of line pipes for a water supply project Langkawi with an amount in dispute of about RM10 million.
- Acted for a major public listed Thai company and its subsidiary in an ICC Arbitration with seat of arbitration in Singapore involving disputes arising from shareholders and settlement agreements.
- Acted for a subcontractor against the main contractor in an ad hoc arbitration concerning the roofing works of the Prime Minister’s Office and Prime Minister’s Residence, Putrajaya. The claim was settled before final Hearing.
- Acted for a subcontractor against the main contractor in a KLRCA arbitration concerning the design, construction and completion of Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka.
- Acted for a subcontractor against public authority in a KLRCA arbitration concerning a turnkey contract for the supply, delivery, installation, testing and commissioning, furniture procurement, IT system establishment and training for Malaysian Institute of Chemical Engineering Technology with an amount in dispute of more than 27 million.
Legal Insights Issue 04/2012, December 2012 – “Aligning Arbitration in India with International Practice”
Commenting on a recent landmark decision of the Supreme Court of India in Bharat Aluminium Co. v Kaiser Aluminium Technical Service Inc.  6 Madras Law Journal 630.
Legal Insights Issue 04/2012, December 2012 – “Satellite Wars”
A case commentary of a Singapore High Court decision of Astro Nusantara International BV and others v PT Ayunda Prima Mitra and others  SGHC 212.
Legal Insights Issue 03/2012, September 2012 – "Much Ado About Nothing?"
A review of the Mediation Act 2012.
Legal Insights Issue 03/2012, September 2012 – "Polar Opposites"
This article explains why the High Court decided that it has no jurisdiction to set aside an arbitral award with the seat outside of Malaysia in the case Twin Advance(M) Sdn Bhd v Polar Electro Europe BV.
Legal Insights Issue 01/2012, March 2012 – "If You Go To Caesar You Must Take Caesar's Judgement"
A commentary on the decision of the Federal Court in Government of India v Cairn Energy India Pty Ltd & Anor  6 MLJ 441.
Legal Insights Issue 02/2011, June 2011 – The Arbitration (Amendment) Act 2011
The writer explains the changes under the Arbitration (Amendment) Act 2011.
Legal Insights Issue 03/2011, September 2011 – "New ICC Rules Of Arbitration 2012"
This article highlights some of the changes that will be introduced under the New Rules.
Legal Insights Issue 4/2010, December 2010 – Abandoned!
Port Kelang Authority v Kuala Dimensi Sdn Bhd.
The Court of Appeal had the occasion to consider the limits of Section 10(1)(a) of the Arbitration Act 2005.
Legal Insights Issue 4/2010, December 2010 – Practical Guide Series: Drafting Arbitration clauses
How to avoid common pitfalls in drafting arbitration clauses.
Legal Insights Issue 1/2010, March 2010 – Bowled Out!
The Federal Court overturns the Sri Lanka Cricket v World Sports Nimbus Pte Ltd (2006)2 CLJ 316. (covered by our Legal insights issue 2/2006).
Legal Insights Issue 4/2008, December 2008 – A Hard Act to Follow
Which Arbitration Act applies to arbitration proceedings that arise from an arbitration agreement made before 15 March 2006?
Legal Insights Issue 2/2008, June 2008 – Court Shuts door to Relief for Foreign arbitrations
The High Court considers whether it has jurisdiction to grant interim relief in respect of the subject matter of foreign arbitrations under the Arbitration Act 2005.
Legal Insights Issue 4/2007, December 2007 – A fresh Start for English Arbitration
Reviews the recent decision of the House of Lords in Premium Nafta Products Ltd v Fili Shipping Company Ltd  UKHL 40.
Legal Insights Issue 3/2007, October 2007 – Singapore courts confirm policy of Minimal Curial Intervention in Arbitrations
Examines Soh Beng Tee & Co Pte Ltd v Fairmount Development Pte Ltd  3 SLR 86, a recent decision from across the causeway.
Legal Insights Issue 3/2006, September 2006 – Fine tuning the Arbitral process
Discusses the importance of minimising time and expense of arbitral proceedings.
Legal Insights Issue 2/2006, June 2006 – Hiccups in Enforcing Foreign Arbitral Awards
Discussion on the case of Sri Lanka Cricket v. World Sport Nimbus Pte Ltd  3 MLJ 117.
Legal Insights Issue 1/2006, March 2006 – Newsflash – The new Malaysian Arbitration Act
The aim of the new Act is to bring Malaysia in line with modern international practice.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013
6 partners are listed as Leading Lawyers in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2013.
>> READ MORE
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2013
13 partners are ranked as Chambers Leading Lawyers 2013.
>> READ MORE
ALB 2012 Corporate M&A Rankings
Skrine's Corporate & M&A Practice Group was ranked in Tier 1 by the Asian Legal Business (ALB) Magazine's 2012, Corporate M&A Rankings (Malaysia).
For more information on the rankings, please click here.
Who's Who Legal 2012
We are pleased to announce that 10 of our lawyers have been listed as leading individuals in the Who's Who Legal – The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2012.
>> READ MORE
[ Archives ]