||Liang Cheng Jean
Partner, Corporate Division
Tel: 603 - 2081 3999 ext 702
Fax: 603 - 2094 3211
Liang Cheng Jean was admitted to practice as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in March 2002 and joined Skrine as an Associate in the Corporate Division. She was promoted to Senior Associate with effect from 1 January 2007 and become a Partner in January 2011.
Areas of Practice
Acquisitions, Mergers & Takeover, Capital Markets, Foreign Investments, Hospitality & Hotel, Joint Ventures, Secretarial Services, Securities
Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne, Australia 2000
- Advised and acted for a US multinational corporation in the disposal of its oil and gas retail business in Malaysia for a purchase consideration of more than US$100 million.
- Advised and acted for a US multinational corporation in connection with the merger and acquisition of a group of companies in Asia with a Taiwanese Group involved in manufacturing business.
- Advised and acted for Berterslmann Music Group GmbH in the disposal of its Malaysian subsidiary as part of the worldwide disposal of its publishing music division.
- Advised and acted for a Malaysian company in the automotive industry in connection with legal issues concerning distributorship, dealership, sales and after sales service, import agreements.
- Advised and acted for a US company, Benchmark Electronics Inc, in the acquisition of a Malaysian manufacturing company.
- Advised and acted for a Belgium company in the purchase of supply of limestones from Malaysia.
- Advised a multinational corporation with subsidiaries in Malaysia in respect of its disposal of part of its business and outsourcing of certain of its internal functions such as human resources in Malaysia.
- Advised and acted for a Japanese multinational corporation in the restructuring of its Malaysian joint venture company.
- Advised and acted for UM Residences Sdn. Bhd. in the joint venture with Liang Court (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. and the leasing arrangements between the joint venture company and the owners of the Somerset Seri Bukit Ceylon Serviced Residences.
- Acted as-in house counsel for BP Malaysia on retainer basis for a period of six months.
- Advised and acted for a British multinational corporation in the oil and gas industry in the restructuring of its Malaysian subsidiary in Malaysia.
- Advised on several foreign investment transactions in Malaysia including acquisitions and disposals by foreign entities of investments in Malaysia; joint venture agreement for the establishment of businesses including manufacturing facilities in Malaysia and advising generally on legal and regulatory compliance, including submission of applications to the Foreign Investment Committee, Ministry of International Trade and Industry and Bank Negara Malaysia.
- Carried out and supervised legal due diligence, whether on-site inspections or via on-line web-based sites in conducting legal due diligence on companies in oil and gas, manufacturing, consumer products, property development and service industries in connection with transactions relating to global and local mergers, acquisitions and disposals as well as for purposes of submissions of applications to the Securities Commission of Malaysia.
- Advised companies in various industries on issues relating company law and other applicable laws relevant to the particular industry including regulatory authorities’ policies and requirements in Malaysia.
- Advised in the drafting of sale and purchase agreements, management agreements, product service agreements, tenancy agreements for manufacturing facilities and hotel properties.
- Advised on the amendments of the articles of association of joint venture companies and revamping articles of associations of public companies listed on Bursa Securities Malaysia Berhad. Advised and acted on behalf of clients in submission of applications for approval to the regulatory authorities including application for licences and waivers and exemptions.